Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Having a bit of an identity crisis.....work related.......

Rob,
    It's not like you have relentlessly clawed your way to the top, kicking and pushing anyone in your path. Rather it sounds like your skills and experience are opening some additional opportunities for you. That's a good thing for you and your co-workers and the organization, no matter what country you are in.

Yppej
    I went to graduate school with an Austrian woman who said things were very discouraging for her back home, the most she could hope for was to work as a maid.. There were few positions for educated people and most jobs were obtained based on who you know not what you know.

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    [QUOTE=gimmethesimplelife;292720

About the Austrian flag and the issue of respect.....not to beat a dead horse (and it really is at this point for those of you familiar with my posts).....as I see it Austria is a much better country than the United States. The standard of living there is noticeably higher for everyday people and there is much more security in life there as far as almost everyone qualifies for social welfare of some sort, with no insane and soul crushing stigma attached to such as in the US as a social engineering vehicle to keep more money in the upper classes (13 years old when I knew this). Socialized medicine, six weeks off with pay every year, a month's salary bonus right before Christmas every year....the quality of life in Austria truly makes America look pathetic. No getting around this one I'm afraid for those unable to drink US society's Kool-Aid such as myself.

Given the above, and the fact that Austria has a much more equitable distribution of wealth and without the social requirement that life exists only for work as it does in America.....of course I am going to consider myself Austrian over being American. Who wouldn't given these facts of cold-blooded common sense? As to how this ties into interviewing for a higher position, I worry that I am being disrespectful to Austria as in Austria you are looked down on and disrespected for trying to rise much higher over your station in life. Austria is a country in which the majority of the population is much more equal and there is blessedly little reason or incentive to keep reaching for more and keep reaching higher - yet another reason why the quality of life in Austria is so much higher than in America. It is very important to me to respect my heritage - other than issues in the two major world wars (Austria's past is less than innocent, I admit this here and now) Austria really does have it's act together and is a better deal than America. Of course I am going to be guided by this fact in most life decisions of any weight.

Rob[/QUOTE]

rob, I have been doing reading about Austria since you posted and it looks like the new leaders are far more like Donald Trump than Obama. They have tried to cut and cap benefits for refugees, and there has been much difficulty of the large number of immigrants assimilating.

http://www.infomigrants.net/en/post/...asylum-seekers

if there is one thing I have learned is the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence. After a career working in mental health I have seen when people take the geographic cure they take their problems with them. Every one of us sees what we want to see and hears what we want to hear.

Austria may be more equitable, but they also took in a very large number of immigrants which strains the best run systems.
    Also, it is not over. New waves of people are coming from Syria and as the climate changes poor people in Africa and Asia will be looking to escape starvation. Millions of children starve to death every year and I cannot imagine more of an incentive to seek asylum. Europe will continue to grapple with this tragic issue, as we continue to grapple with people fleeing Central America.

If you have that much guilt over taking this job, then don’t take it. Period. End of story.

Austria you are looked down on and disrespected for trying to rise much higher over your station in life.
    I think you're projecting from the 85006. In much of Europe, its not that you can't be successful, it's just considered gauche to /flaunt/ your wealth in obvious ways. Big difference. There are millionaires in Austria, and the percentage of them is growing. If you aren't "allowed" to be successful, how can this be?

If you are uncomfortable with the prospect of a new job with more money, don't take it. Sounds like you are grasping for reasons not to try.

Quote Originally Posted by herbgeek View Post
    If you are uncomfortable with the prospect of a new job with more money, don't take it. Sounds like you are grasping for reasons not to try.

While at the same time, making an official renouncing of citizenship?

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Hi everyone and once again, Thank You for the replies. I am in the height of Season right now and don't have much time to even post a short post - Thankfully there's plenty of OT at the moment and Thankfully the light is at the end of the tunnel.....three weeks from now my hours will be cut back. I just wanted to come back and post that I decided to go ahead and apply for this position - what did it is that I believe I owe it to the 85006 to do so - I owe the 85006 the increased taxes I would be paying into the system if I indeed were promoted to this position. And even if I don't get this position - I've decided to keep my site supervisor position and not step back down to banquet server status.

Pretty radical, coming from me, no? I will be glad to respond to various posters here and also give more reasons for my decision but I've got to run to the pharmacy now and won't be home until very late....will reply when I can. Thanks again to those who responded. Rob

PS....wanted to add that I spoke to my family in Vienna and they support my applying for this position - they believe that I would not let any promotion go to my head and that I would continue to behave appropriate in life in accordance with my Austrian heritage. Phew! That was a load off my back, to be given my family's blessing......and I gotta go, good day to all!

Yay Rob - good for you!

Good luck Rob!

Good luck! I would have thought banquets are in high season during the spring/summer due to weddings. But perhaps that is different in the southwest due to the heat.

Thread Information