Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Having a bit of an identity crisis.....work related.......

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife
    in Austria you are looked down on and disrespected for trying to rise much higher over your station in life.
    I’m curious. What is “your station”? Is your station something you are born into? Does Austria have some sort of unchanging caste system? Is your station linked to your family, your race, your religion, what? (Ask your relatives about the Lager class structure in Austrian history. It might not really be a selling point for you.)

I mean, if I stuck to my “station”, I’d be toothless, eat roadkill, and do odd jobs in between making runs of moonshine.
    Last edited by bae; 3-19-18 at 8:05pm.

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    I’m curious. What is “your station”? Is your station something you are born into? Does Austria have some sort of unchanging caste system? Is your station linked to your family, your race, your religion, what? (Ask your relatives about the Lager class structure in Austrian history. It might not really be a selling point for you.)

I mean, if I stuck to my “station”, I’d be toothless, eat roadkill, and do odd jobs in between making runs of moonshine.
    I believe it's hard for most people who believe in America to grasp this, but here goes: In Austria it's much easier, much more expected, much more achievable and much more everyday to be in the middle class. The price tag you pay for this along with being more required to fit in is that you are expected to not rock the boat or reach for more. If you have ambition, Austria is not the best place to be to be frank. If you want to struggle less and compete less and if middle class with access to social welfare America brutally deems human life not being worth such access to - then Austria is a bit of paradise. It's all about what works for you......you'all know I fit better into the Austrian way than the American way and always have.

Given the truth of my last two sentences.....of course I'm going to be very concious of any appearance of rising too far above my lot in life.....it would be un-Austrian to do so, and I believe I've made it clear that I am someone for whom Austria is a better deal. Clear? Rob

PS As to your original question,my station in America has been twofold: Edge of slum at various points in my life and then an increase to very lower middle class. The train has accelerated past this last station lately, though......but you'd never know it in how I behave, act, conduct my life, eat, dress, speak - you'd never really know I was doing better economically these days. As always I respect my heritage - here is a concrete example. If this makes no sense to any of you, I volley back with the following: Human life is worth socialized medicine in Austria but not in the United States. Given that human life is held this cheap in America, and that the system indeed makes this brutally clear via this fundamental lack, would it not be wrong for me to not be guided by my Austrian heritage when confronted with a serious life decision, especially one in which money plays a starring role?

I will never understand why America and why so many of it's citizens believe that America should be immune from having the script flipped on it in such a way.....to me it's like breathing air - it comes naturally. But that's just me and other people's mileage is going to differ, I get that. At least I live in the 85006 where no one is going to judge me or look down on me for flipping the script in this way. Rob

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    Rob,
    It's not like you have relentlessly clawed your way to the top, kicking and pushing anyone in your path. Rather it sounds like your skills and experience are opening some additional opportunities for you. That's a good thing for you and your co-workers and the organization, no matter what country you are in.
    Rosarugosa - I just wanted you to know that although we have never met, I factored your post here into my decision to apply for the promotion. You raise very good and very humane points here that resonate with me. I've always believed I really don't have any real skills - until recently when I have realized that I do indeed have leadership ability and that I am a hard worker and mostly, that I'm fair. I'm also good at thinking quickly on my feet and I'm also good at making order out of chaos. These are indeed worthwhile skills useful in the workplace.

At any rate, your post here really had a positive impact on me so I just wanted to say Thanks! And even if I don't get this job, at least I will have tried and at least I've come to realize that I am not entirely worthless in the workplace. All good things. Rob

Rob, you have value at work or they would not have promoted you. My parents wanted their kids to rise above their station in life and we all did. Being stuck to fit in sucks in my opinion. I wouldn't give up my right to strife for what I want for free security. European countries are small like our states so I think it is easier to give more benefits to a smaller group of people. That being said I am all for Medicare for everyone with people being expected to pay a amount that is affordable depending on your income. The more $ you make the more you pay because you can afford to do this. That way when many people retire they won't have to choose between eating and paying for their meds.

I was offered management once and turned it down, but I didn't make a big deal of it, mostly because I turned it down because I didn't think I was a personality fit for it really at least not at the time. Besides there are few sure career paths (maybe government work ha), I think management can dead-end too especially if you don't stay with the company (less a risk if one is older to start out with because just earn the big bucks and get out, but if younger it's not always so clear that it is better to be queen bee than worker bee.).
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    Rosarugosa - I just wanted you to know that although we have never met, I factored your post here into my decision to apply for the promotion. You raise very good and very humane points here that resonate with me. I've always believed I really don't have any real skills - until recently when I have realized that I do indeed have leadership ability and that I am a hard worker and mostly, that I'm fair. I'm also good at thinking quickly on my feet and I'm also good at making order out of chaos. These are indeed worthwhile skills useful in the workplace.

At any rate, your post here really had a positive impact on me so I just wanted to say Thanks! And even if I don't get this job, at least I will have tried and at least I've come to realize that I am not entirely worthless in the workplace. All good things. Rob
    Thanks for that feedback Rob. I'm glad my words had some value.

Thread Information