Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: questions and concerns

questions and concerns

I was just asked to have a meeting with my supervisor and his supervisor this week about questions and concerns, I am very very scared. I feel I am going to get fired, and one mistake I made would be possible to say that honestly for.

I just left a message for our HR representative to see if I need support there. I have no idea. But I am spending time getting everything off my computer and prepared.

If I do get fired I am very concerned about my mental health. It is on the edge already.

I'm sorry to hear this ZG.

Yppej
    If it happens you may feel a great weight lifted off you as this job has been so dysfunctional for so long. You can always file for unemployment. If you have been doing your best you should be able to collect. Only gross misconduct should prevent that - like no call no show or hitting someone or stealing.

I'm sorry too, but I would second what Yppej said. This happened to someone close to me several years ago, and they actually did that person an enormous favor.

I was fired years ago and it was a huge relief. Good luck!

Is it possible that you could be offered something really good?

What will happen will happen, I mean if they are determined to fire you, they will, but you don't KNOW THAT for sure and so no point to pretend you do (sure send out resumes asap or anything else you can think of but other than that). It could be just a discussion or a warning (not that it is good to get warnings, it buys time to look for other work frankly!). And really if they wanted to fire you that much they would probably not postpone the meeting but just get it done with, so that's a slightly positive tea leaf I guess to the extent that we can really read tea leaves here (we can't).

I got fired for one mistake and with no warnings and I'm living out the results. But frankly they hated me before that for reasons I tried hard to fathom but since I had little CONCRETE feedback could never really put a finger on (some kind of mean girls junior high cliquish dynamic it always seemed, although my introversion might have not helped). My desk was cleaned out, I was ready to meet a fate I felt like there was nothing I could even do to prevent. Like a condemned man to the gallows I had made my peace with whatever would happen, I must have been the calmest firee they ever saw.

I haven't even collected unemployment, as it's not clear cut that one qualifies if fired, and I signed a severance as well. Living off of severance and that spent now savings. A blessing? Well I have another interview (woo hoo!), but the job is very far away and will require me to move to that part of town, not near anything. So really I wish I never took my last job, stupid ruin my life job, although I did it hoping for career advancement but it wasn't at all as well thought out as I thought back then. But one just has to try to pick up the pieces, I just want to work really, would take government bennies in the meantime if I could get any though. As for mental health I struggle with pretty severe depression and crying jigs due to unemployment (yes it's entirely situational, not that I'm naturally an optimist but I'm fairly ok when I'm working and would be if I won the lottery too ).
    Trees don't grow on money

To all of you struggling, I wish you well. Nothing else I can say but it is too bad that you are hurting.

ANM: You should definitely try applying for UE. Usually you are eligible unless you quit voluntarily or are terminated for willful misconduct. My work team handled UE claims for many years. A severance agreement usually just prevents you from suing them, not from collecting UE benefits.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    To all of you struggling, I wish you well. Nothing else I can say but it is too bad that you are hurting.
    +1

I have no advice either. My son was let go last fall and he just got another job that starts April 2. As I told him back when he was reeling from the experience, everyone goes through it. You think you're the only one. I was once let go from a really good job. So was my husband.

If that's what's about to happen to you, ZG, keep in mind that it's not a reflection of your character or your abilities.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Thread Information