Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cramps in the middle of the night

cramps in the middle of the night

I have never had this happen, I am 51 and started periods at 13, never too bad with cramps. In the middle of the night I tend to lightly wake up, sometimes need the bathroom. Tonight however I felt so crampy that it woke me up. I had to get up, take pamprin, and still can't lay down. I am making some tea while I wait for pain stuff to take effect. Maybe it is part of the changes my body is going through, and I have not walked as much over the weekend as I normally do. Plus some stress, as always stress.

Anyone have this one as their peri-menopause symptoms?

Have your periods been normal up to now? Is it time for your period? When was your last GYN check up? Around perimenopause, our hormone levels (estrogen and progesterone) get out of whack. What usually happens is the lining of the uterus starts building up too much. I'm wondering if your uterus is responding to that build-up and trying to get rid of it?

Thanks Cathy, this is the first one in 3 months. It is also very light. So I figure it is all the changes, however I would expect something like a heavy flow with this? I am finally tracking my periods which I have never been good about before. I also really have not had issues over the years.

I wish I knew how close I was to being done, one of those things that no one can tell you! If this just meant I was close to the end then it would be much easier to accept. I think I am going to take a long walk soon, the pamprin and a warming pad have helped it ease up but it has taken 2 hours.

Unfortunately, my trek through perimenopause lasted a long time. I hope yours is short! I'm wondering if your lining is building up a lot, even though your last period was light. I would guess that it's going to start to get very heavy.......which won't be unusual. I needed a D&C when I started to bleed and couldn't stop. If your cramps continue, the GYN can do a transvaginal ultrasound and see how thick your lining is.....and then she can go from there. The heating pad is my best friend! Good luck, and hang in there.

I had a terrible menopause and was determined not to have a hysterectomy. in hindsight it as a bad decision. I suffered for 12 years and had really heavy periods sometimes bleeding for weeks at a time. I had various medical procedures, etc. Nothing worked for long. It did not end until I was about 55.

I was just reading about magnesium deficiencies and how appropriate levels prevent cramps of all kinds. Apparently, middle aged women need 400-500mg daily, which is awfully hard to get in our daily diet, so supplements are suggested.

I started taking 200 mg daily about 20 years ago, after tests revealed high levels of calcium and very low magnesium- optimally, they are balanced. I didn't really put it all together at the time, but that was when my menstrual cramps stopped! I had gone to the doctor complaining of severe night time cramping in my calves, which were relieved immediately.

Oh yes! I have often taken a calcium/magnesium supplement before. I have not taken it in a few months just because I was having an aversion to any type of pill or things to swallow. I will start that again,

My only menopausal symptom was hot flashes and they lasted about 2 years. I used to have really bad menstrual cramps, but ibuprofen was a total magic bullet for those. I wished I had learned that secret many years earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe Girl View Post
    Anyone have this one as their peri-menopause symptoms?
    My wife had similar cramps from her periods in her early 50s for about 2-3 years, very intermittently.

Zoe.....You can buy some "Calm".....it's a powder you mix with water and has magnesium in it.

But if you cramps keep up, please see your GYN. Like I said, estrogen and progesterone levels get upset and you can keep adding to the lining of your uterus, without the stimulus to get rid of it.

Thread Information