Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Trump and His Pennsylvania speech/confabulation, etc....

Thank you for your apology, Williamsmith. I'm offended when people deride your occupation and call you names, as well. And thank you for your lifetime of service to the public, it is much appreciated.

Our interactions here are so limited in many ways.

I often use the word “cop” but you can’t hear the love in my voice when I say it!

What you dont know is that I have two big ass signs wired to our front and back fences that say “Thank you Police!” And I work for my neighborhood organization that spends $7,000 each year on our local police substation, that is private money not tax money.

The 18th District of Pennsylvania will have an election Tuesday 3/13. Both the Republican (Saccone) and the Democrat (Lamb) have expressed approval of Trump's announced 25% tariff on steel. Since the announcement, exemptions were carved out for Canada and Mexico ( and maybe more "allies" will be added to the exempt list before long). The United Steelworkers union is vigorously supporting the Democrat and sending volunteer canvassers to talk to voters on their doorsteps (typically 3-4 times in lower- and middle-income neighborhoods).

Since the last election the boundaries of the district were changed by order of the Pennsylvania Supreme Court, and I understand the net effect of the boundary changes was to make the district more heavily Republican (in terms of past election results).

The latest two polls indicate no advantage to either candidate... in either case the statistical "lead" is within the margin of error of the poll. The Gravis poll March 1-5 gave a spread of +3 to Saccone. The Emerson poll of March 1-3 gave a spread of +3 to Lamb. Did Trump's speech in Pennsylvania change any likely voter's mind?

I have a hard time believing that Trump's speech and the news coverage about it would have changed any minds at this stage. I doubt that Trump's blunt and wide-ranging attack language offended Republicans to the extent that they would stay home on election day. I believe Democrats in the district are riled up and will demonstrate their disgust by turning out in large numbers. I expect Saccone will win it by a margin of 5% to 10%.

Williamsmith
    I happen to know a little about the 18th district. If one wanted to know who was going to win the primary tomorrow, one would drop his buttocks in a seat at the bar of a local volunteer fire department in the district, order a ginger and jack and sit and listen. Even an incompetent pollster ought to be able to get this one right. My instinct is that since the odds have it Saccone will win, it is up to his opponent to prove he’s a better option.

Lamb, His opponent, couldn’t be more different than most of the constituents because of the filthy rich Pittsburgh suburbs where he was raised. Born in Washington DC, raised in the area populated by some of the most arrogant upper crust in Western Pennsylvania.....son of the political elite, educated in private schools and an Ivy League Law graduate, served as a lawyer with the Marines and prosecuted other Marines, matriculated seamlessly to work for very influential Judges and set up in politics by the good ole boy system, albeit with pinky extended. If Lamb wins, it would not just extend the Democrats momentum from last year.....it would be a sunami event signaling the end of life as we know it.

My unlearned opinion is that Trumps speech was well received and couldn’t have hurt Saccone at all. The wonderful reports on the expansion of the economy and increases in jobs.....well what more has to be said?

I've said before that I really think so many things that happen in the country (more jobs, better economy, etc.) are from the previous administration. Not just this time, but always. Hopefully someone good will be our President next term.........but then it would look like they're doing a crap job, but will be just showing from Donald's stint.

Quote Originally Posted by CathyA View Post
    I've said before that I really think so many things that happen in the country (more jobs, better economy, etc.) are from the previous administration. Not just this time, but always. Hopefully someone good will be our President next term.........but then it would look like they're doing a crap job, but will be just showing from Donald's stint.
    Does the Trump bump in the stock market really belong to Obama, an obvious and continuing runup?

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Does the Trump bump in the stock market really belong to Obama, an obvious and continuing runup?
    Wait, I thought we were blaming the stock market on Bush still?

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    Wait, I thought we were blaming the stock market on Bush still?
    No silly, the market is GOOD! That requires an automatic switch to responsibility of a Democrat.

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    . When Harvard promoted then Professor Warren as the only Native American woman on staff, I doubt they simply took it upon themselves to do so, she obviously prompted them to do it using her family lore as a basis. It seems to me that the fact she used it to promote herself should require proof, but that doesn't seem likely as she yesterday re-asserted her position that she doesn't require proof as she knows who she is.

I'm beginning to think I know her as well.
    If she did use her background to encourage a promotion don’t you think it would have come out. I am half African American and I never mentioned it to anyone for any advantage. I’m pretty light skinned if I stay out of the sun, and straight hair. I don’t really know my exact percentage but my dad was dark skinned, briefly met grandparents but my entire genealogy is a blank. Knew very few relatives and they pretty much disowned us. Sometimes people ask and I say American. I think to be a professor at Harvard you can’t be a dummy. Maybe she was qualified to be promoted? Much more fun to suggest someone you don’t like is a liar.

ps. I am not especially fond of warren either, but if 19 women can accuse Trump of sexual harassment and assault and they are all considered to be liars I guess any woman could be a liar. You know how they are.

Quote Originally Posted by flowerseverywhere View Post
    If she did use her background to encourage a promotion don’t you think it would have come out.
    I think we're using the word 'promotion' differently. Harvard promoted or advertised Professor Warren as a Native American to show their dedication to diversity. I can't help but think it helped her get the job although I doubt it helped her advance.

I am not especially fond of warren either, but if 19 women can accuse Trump of sexual harassment and assault and they are all considered to be liars I guess any woman could be a liar. You know how they are.
    No, how are they?
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Thread Information