Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 34

Thread: Trump and His Pennsylvania speech/confabulation, etc....

  1. #11
    Senior Member iris lilies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    13,245
    Both you guys made me laugh out loud this morning, a good way to start off a Monday.

  2. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    2,442
    I did not read the speech and am not a big fan of Elizabeth Warren, as she did not back Bernie when she should of but instead backed Hillary, in hopes of getting the VEEP--BUT,

    as a descendant of Pocahontas's sister, I stand for the name Pocohontas as being a badge of honor. So maybe this will backfire on him, for his scorn of the Pamunkey people!

  3. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    4,556
    Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    I did not read the speech and am not a big fan of Elizabeth Warren, as she did not back Bernie when she should of but instead backed Hillary, in hopes of getting the VEEP--BUT,

    as a descendant of Pocahontas's sister, I stand for the name Pocohontas as being a badge of honor. So maybe this will backfire on him, for his scorn of the Pamunkey people!
    I have read that she has taken herself out of contention for 2020.

    Can't she settle the issue by spending $49.95 for one of those mail-in-your-spit tests?

  4. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    2,442
    I did not know she had taken herself out of contention, how interesting.

    She says she has Cherokee ancestry. I have Cherokee ancestry, too, but do not qualify for tribal membership. She would not, either. I know the names of my Cherokee ancestors; she does not. Neither of us could "become" Cherokee, unless she has someone on the rolls I don't know about--I think her ancestors were supposed to be from Oklahoma, so they should be on the rolls.
    Mine are from North Carolina and lost their land before the rolls.

  5. #15
    Simpleton Alan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    5,814
    Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    I did not know she had taken herself out of contention, how interesting.

    She says she has Cherokee ancestry. I have Cherokee ancestry, too, but do not qualify for tribal membership. She would not, either. I know the names of my Cherokee ancestors; she does not. Neither of us could "become" Cherokee, unless she has someone on the rolls I don't know about--I think her ancestors were supposed to be from Oklahoma, so they should be on the rolls.
    Mine are from North Carolina and lost their land before the rolls.
    On Meet The Press yesterday, she said she was not running for President (present tense), she was running for re-election to her Senate seat. When asked if she would serve a complete 6 year term in that seat, she hemmed and hawed a bit without actually answering the question.

    According to my family lore, my Great Grandfather on my father's side was full-blooded Native American although DNA tests on several relatives in his line show no Native American influence. They do show African American influence and I tend to think he was actually of mixed race and the family decided it was culturally more acceptable at the time to present him as Native American rather than African American. That's just a theory though.

    I don't think anyone in my extended family ever used this family lore to advance themselves in circles where diversity is prized higher than ability, or made any attempt to engage in cultural appropriation. When Harvard promoted then Professor Warren as the only Native American woman on staff, I doubt they simply took it upon themselves to do so, she obviously prompted them to do it using her family lore as a basis. It seems to me that the fact she used it to promote herself should require proof, but that doesn't seem likely as she yesterday re-asserted her position that she doesn't require proof as she knows who she is.

    I'm beginning to think I know her as well.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

  6. #16
    Senior Member Williamsmith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Penns Woods
    Posts
    3,152
    I would be willing to vote for Elizabeth if she promised to move her Oval Office to a Wigwam on the south lawn, wrap herself in deerskins, beads and wampum and dance around in moccasins. Refusing to do that, I’d be satisfied if she drank cans of “Cherokee Red” during her cabinet meetings.

  7. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    2,442
    Quote Originally Posted by Williamsmith View Post
    I would be willing to vote for Elizabeth if she promised to move her Oval Office to a Wigwam on the south lawn, wrap herself in deerskins, beads and wampum and dance around in moccasins. Refusing to do that, I’d be satisfied if she drank cans of “Cherokee Red” during her cabinet meetings.
    See, Williamsmith, I find that offensive on a personal level, dishonoring my Native American ancestors. Can you see why that might be?

  8. #18
    Senior Member Williamsmith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Penns Woods
    Posts
    3,152
    Of course, but no more offensive than lumping all white Christian males into one basket of deplorables, Bible in one hand...AR-15 in the other.

  9. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    2,442
    Williamsmith, I have never done that to you or anyone else. So why do you feel free doing that to me?

  10. #20
    Senior Member Williamsmith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Penns Woods
    Posts
    3,152
    Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    Williamsmith, I have never done that to you or anyone else. So why do you feel free doing that to me?
    I don’t know Tybee, I didn’t address you specifically but as a person of that culture you became offended. Isn’t that how we all end up taking offense? My wearing Chief Wahoo on a baseball cap is suddenly offensive even though I’ve attached that mascot to the Cleveland Indians for half a century. It’s gotten to the point where we have to have a list of offensive things to check everyday. I’m offended by the use of pejoratives for police officers...like “cop”, but a lot of people don’t realize it and so I don’t hold it against them. I don’t have that right. People’s toes stick out really far and then they wonder why they get stepped on.

    You personally, are a wonderful person based on your posting here and I certainly apologize for any hurt I might have caused.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •