Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: “We are concerned about your taste level”

“We are concerned about your taste level”

To my fellow Project Runway pals here, you know when Heidi scolds the designers about their “ taste level?” Well, the head judge at this weekend’s flower show intimated the same thing about my floral design calling it “hokey!”

Hahaha. The thing is, I absolutely agree with her.

i knew when I was puttng it together it was kitschy and gaudy. But no matter, it is the design I wantd to do. She said it with a smiling face and kindness. She is a good diplomat.

The class was Elvis Presley in Viva Las Vegas and the design type was illuminary, lighting required. Actually I dont like Elvis Presley and the hype surrounding him, so I guess that was reflected in my floral design. But no matter, kitsch it kitsch.

My design is below (the purple guitar) and the first place winner is below that, the blue spiral.

Of course as always these are upside down, sorry!

Attached Images Attached Images

Elvis Presley in Vegas doesn't exactly sound like it would be all about subdued tastefulness, not to my mind anyway.

The purple guitar would also work if you had a Prince challenge for arrangements!

What a weird universe you are in if there is an Elvis Presley category but you are reprimanded for a hokey arrangement. Seems somewhat snobbish. I do like the winning piece although in the photo I can't make out any flowers, so there is that. Oh, I think I got confused by the upside-downish nature of photos--they both look like light fixtures.

I agree with everyone else--how can an Elvis arrangement not be hokey?--maybe a funerary piece? I don't particularly like what I can see of the winning entry, because it seems generic and I can't see any flowers.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    What a weird universe you are in if there is an Elvis Presley category but you are reprimanded for a hokey arrangement. Seems somewhat snobbish. I do like the winning piece although in the photo I can't make out any flowers, so there is that. Oh, I think I got confused by the upside-downish nature of photos--they both look like light fixtures.
    Yes, it is a Universe where abstract representation of a theme is admired. The winner in the class had cool dried silvery alliums as plant material. It was spare.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Yes, it is a Universe where abstract representation of a theme is admired. The winner in the class had cool dried silvery alliums as plant material. It was spare.
    Of course! Because Elvis loved onions! (WTH?)
    They must have been grasping for novel themes...

I hope you don't mind my putting these upright for you.......They're just easier to look at.

Iris Lilies pictures.jpg

Iris Lilies pictures -2.jpg

Thanks, CathyA. You are my hero!

What competition level are you in, IL? These are so elaborate as to be unbelievable. Imagine being prepared to judge such a category.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Thread Information