Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: “We are concerned about your taste level”

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    What competition level are you in, IL? These are so elaborate as to be unbelievable. Imagine being prepared to judge such a category.
    Not only elaborate, but expensive.

The illuminary one with the martini glasses will likely win the People's Choice award when voting is complete this afternoon. She easily spent $150 on materials.And I will say that her is glitzy AND pretty. I spent $2 on the guitar at a thrift store but another $20 on spray paint and lights, and another $20 on flowers.

Quote Originally Posted by CathyA View Post
    I hope you don't mind my putting these upright for you.......They're just easier to look at.

My hero too. I have really got to learn how to turn my photos around. Thanks!

IL: I like yours better then the winner)

Thanks for flipping them.

I like yours, IL, and see easily how it interprets the theme. The spiral, not so much.

I think it's a close call!

Thanks Cathy A. It helps to see them right side up. Personally I find the guitar much more "Elvis' than a spiral-

IL, you have taken judging courses, to what criteria would you have given points between the winner and your entry that make the difference? Is it imple conservatism of the art to a form that takes the art seriously so resisting your 'hokum' entry or trying to control an agreed upon standard as artsy competitions have ever done.

For years some of the most well known artists were initially rejected as not up to the established norm. Has flower judging gone that route once one reaches a certain level?

In my neck of the woods, flower shows are pretty low-key garden produce with some arrangements of items from one's garden enhanced by road-side finds.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    IL, you have taken judging courses, to what criteria would you have given points between the winner and your entry that make the difference? Is it imple conservatism of the art to a form that takes the art seriously so resisting your 'hokum' entry or trying to control an agreed upon standard as artsy competitions have ever done.

For years some of the most well known artists were initially rejected as not up to the established norm. Has flower judging gone that route once one reaches a certain level?

In my neck of the woods, flower shows are pretty low-key garden produce with some arrangements of items from one's garden enhanced by road-side finds.
    since you asked, my guitar design is bottom heavy, it isnt balanced in its space. The flowers are not integrated into the guitar, they just sort of surround it. The flowers themselves provide little rhythm although there is some with the palm leaf.when the balance is off, many things dont flow right.

The winner had lots of movement, your eyes traveled around and into it.The lights were integrated into the design.

the theme of this class was really Vive Las Vegas and the entire show was Elvis Presley. Anything with lights to represent
    Las Vegas was good, and probably the winning design was more Las Vegas than mine which was pretty Elvis-y.But expression of theme is only 8 points out of 100 so that is not a big consideration.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 3-12-18 at 12:03am.

Thank you for the explanation, IL. Photos can give only a limited dimension of the display so actually being there makes a huge difference. Understanding the judging is a whole other aspect. When I was at the Philadelphia Flower Show I had wondered why some were chosen above others. They all looked beautiful to me.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

I'll go out on a limb here, now that they are right size up, and say that the winner represents live Elvis and IL's represents dead Elvis. So I guess it's all how you look at Elvis.

I think yours screams "Elvis"....anyone who has toured his house would agree. It also made me think of his Hawaii concert.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Thread Information