Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Freedom's greatest requirement is unity." - Eisenhower

"Freedom's greatest requirement is unity." - Eisenhower

Former President Eisenhower said in an address before the North Atlantic Treaty Organization, "Freedom's greatest requirement is unity." This was during the Cold War period with the Soviet Union.

Without bashing anyone in particular since the partisanship is increasing across the board in favour of political parties, religions, tribal loyalties, etc., is the truth of this statement out of date? Is there a way to bring back a unity of goals and agenda with climate change, automation of labour, economic inequality and so on?
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

If everyone else has forgotten this speech, Russia hasn't. They're working hard to sow discord around the world. I used to think "Evil Empire" was an exaggeration; no more.

Williamsmith
    Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    If everyone else has forgotten this speech, Russia hasn't. They're working hard to sow discord around the world. I used to think "Evil Empire" was an exaggeration; no more.

https://youtu.be/6Ya-FGHdBso

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    Former President Eisenhower said in an address before the North Atlantic Treaty Organization, "Freedom's greatest requirement is unity." This was during the Cold War period with the Soviet Union.

Without bashing anyone in particular since the partisanship is increasing across the board in favour of political parties, religions, tribal loyalties, etc., is the truth of this statement out of date? Is there a way to bring back a unity of goals and agenda with climate change, automation of labour, economic inequality and so on?
    How about the whole speech, or should we ignore context and just view this like so many things, through a soundbite?

I confess that I didn't read the whole speech but portions about the dangers of Russia. I had no agenda but was thinking about Italy's election results, the impact of climate change for the continent of Africa which is suffering food insecurity, drought and abusive horrors of Boko Haran, the slaughter going on in Syria, etc. I also keep reading that there are solutions if only populations would work together to resolve them. The Euro experiment was one attempt that is now under stress due to the number of immigrants seeking safety and better opportunities.
    May I offer a caution, TMS? There is a whole world outside the US that is struggling with much bigger issues than in the US right now and we need to see that. Former President Eisenhower's quote was my attempt to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    How about the whole speech, or should we ignore context and just view this like so many things, through a soundbite?
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Williamsmith
    “It’s A Jungle Out There”

https://youtu.be/xBdF3E2NVI8

Unity is worth working for. Or, if unity is too much to aim for, then it may be a little easier to generate harmony and mutual respect.

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post

It helps to have a great unifying threat like the USSR was kind enough to provide for many years. I sometimes miss the clarity of the Cold War.

I think we're moving back to a period of nineteenth century style great power politics as the great American security umbrella slowly folds up. Russia's back to empire-building the old fashioned conquest way. China's looking for a combined military-commercial empire in the old British sense. The EU is striving to create a sort of Holy Roman Empire through bureaucratic fiat. The rest of the world scrambles to get what they can.

Williamsmith
    I am kind of banking on my Russian niece saving a remnant of my family when the Army Of her Mother Land finally meddles enough in America to bring about its downfall.

Sorry but I do not concede to any power greater than my faith in humanity and the power of clear thinkers and capable leaders supported by an informed citizenry. What is required of each of us is seeing the challenges, assessing them, planning a response, implementing and evaluating the results with modifications along the way as needed. It is happening in so many small ways now and will coalesce. We have become too comfortable. It may be the youth getting involved as they have in Florida after the shooting. The Metoo movement is developing new leaders.

What drives me furious and fighting mad is general apathy or 'what is in it for me' or just going along to get along and not taking ownership of our responsibility to make a difference.

Right now, I am participating in trying to create local bylaws to manage recreational cannabis growers and agitating for some direction on federal legislation re determining impairment from marijuana.

How many people are hollering about the opioid issue (about 42,000 drug overdose deaths in the U.S. in 2016 involved opioids, including prescription painkillers, heroin and fentanyl) and the medical profession's prescription abuse since studies now show that regular over-the-counter pain management non-opioid are as effective in most chronic and short-term pain cases. http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/opioid...pain-1.4564201

Freedom has many forms but unity in effort to protect and correct is required. Off my soapbox now.

Thread Information