Thread: Amaryllis second flush

Amaryllis second flush

The amaryllis (Athena variety) which I got as a bulb during the first week of January is blooming again. The first time it bloomed its flower stalk was about 16 inches tall. This second blossom is on a stalk 24" tall. I moved off the sunporch yesterday to a spot that gets less daylight, as I understand it will blossom longer in less light.

... The joy spring, the fountain of pleasure,
    Is deep inside you whether you're diggin' it or not.
    Once you're aware of this spring,
    You'll know it is the greatest treasure
    You've got.
    And furthermore, the joy spring,
    Cannot be bartered away and never can be sold.
    Nothing can take it from you,
    It's yours to have and to hold...

-- Clifford Brown and Jon Hendricks

000_0222 (2).jpg

Lucky you! I usually get an amaryllis but didn't this year. I have never had one bloom twice. Have you ever planted one in your garden to bloom again. My sister can do this with minimal effort but I do all the right things without success so gave up. The colours available are so gorgeous today.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Beautiful! I usually get two flower stalks on my high quality bulbs from Scheeper's nursery. This year I cheaped out and bought bulbs from a local discount store. Some didn't flower at all and those that did were unimpressive and only sent up one stalk. The narcissus bulbs didn't flower at all. So here is a case where spending a bit more money is worth it.

Yes and thanks. I feel lucky. The original (December) retail price was quite high, but it had been marked down twice before I bought the bulb and pot combination in January.

Razz, I always plant mine outside and they bloom again. In South Carolina, they were actually perennial, but that was another whole kettle of gardening fish, the lovely yet dangerous Zone 8-9!

Wanh, we have no amarylis anywhere near blooming. They are all sitting in pots in our basement. DH is scolding me that he cant put them on the kitchen counter to get sunlight because we just completed renovating the kitchen and its counter.
    Will we even get any bloom this year? I dont know,

so thanks dado for your photo.

Thread Information