Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: how much people contact

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

how much people contact

So I realized how much my human contact time has been dropping lately. Typical single parent with grown up kids I think. I am trying to get out more now that my son moved out, just hard because it has to be a special thing to meet people.

I have an assistant who works 30 hours a week and he is a nice friendly young guy. Just the conversation about weekends and his girlfriend are nice. However I realize that several changes in our department have reduced our contact. We all used to have multiple sites and have to come to the office twice a month to at least do payroll. We were all crowded in a really crappy room, competing for printer usage, and working on the same task. Now we all do this from our own sites. We also used to have a purchaser and met her for shopping as a large group. Now we each have a card, shop alone, and reconcile our own expenses. I realize now how much I liked just that basic chance to see colleagues 3 times a month without any special event or training.

I think I would never want to work from home and live alone, that would be too much isolation for me. In fact today I took a break, went to Starbucks and just played a video game on my tablet to get out and more human contact.

just played a video game on my tablet to get out and more human contact.
    Ok I'm confused on this one. How do you get more human contact playing a video game?

Quote Originally Posted by herbgeek View Post
    Ok I'm confused on this one. How do you get more human contact playing a video game?
    I totally get this. You get to go out and order a cappuccino from someone, you get to stand in line, you get to exchange pleasantires, you get to look at different things than your own 4 walls.
    I work at home and a trip to the grocery store can be a sanity saver.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    I totally get this. You get to go out and order a cappuccino from someone, you get to stand in line, you get to exchange pleasantires, you get to look at different things than your own 4 walls.
    I work at home and a trip to the grocery store can be a sanity saver.
    I'm with you. And even traveling on the road, it took about 100 room service meals to realize that I was absolutely fine asking for a table or 1 at a nice restaurant. Cabin fever is real.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Like Tybee was saying, I am not playing the entire time. I talk to the barista, I go to the same Starbucks all the time and now have a gold card!! I chatted a minute with a person at the big shared table. I didn't need a table to myself. And it was getting out of the building. You have all heard that my office this year is a converted closet with one outlet, and an open vent to the music classroom. So I hear (very nice) singing and music all day long, and need a break!

When I had little kids and was primarily at home I would walk to the store for even just one thing just to be around adult humans!

I knew I could never work st home.

I see what it has done to my neighbor, once very social, now barely able to come out of her house. every trip out is a big giant deal.

That work at home thing aint all its cracked up to be, especially if the one lives in an area where you drive everywhere. That driving thng limits getting ro k ow neighbors. Here, we can walk to a gocery store, walk to a coffee shop, walk to several restaurants and bars for a drink or dinner. Our neighborhood associatioj merts around the corner from where we live. We see neighbors we know out and about. That mitigates being in your own house all 5e time, I think. If yoi can step,out your front door and see people and have something to talk with them about, it is good.

I am happy to go to exercise four times a week to see someone other than my husband.

It is a struggle to get out when some meetings are at night and I do not like driving at night. It is also a struggle right now due to the quantity of potholes. We have already lost 3 hubcaps. Need to make more of an effort.

I get it now ZG! I work at home, and going to Target or the grocery store is my outlet.

I get it now ZG! I work at home, and going to Target or the grocery store is my outlet.
    It is really bad when you purposefully wear red and khaki just to shop at Target, people talk to you then!

I enjoyed working at home--it sure beat the commute, and I require very little face to face contact. For much of my career, I chose to work an off shift alone because I couldn't stand office politics or gossip. It takes all kinds.

Thread Information