Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: questions and concerns

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe Girl View Post
    Okay just posted that in the middle of the night everything looks bad, and it has been a bad year. I know someone who tried to fight her termination with our department and lost. I have never known anyone to get very far with that. I honestly made a mistake! A couple people have left our department fired or leaving with the threat of firing and I have not seen get any job.

Mostly I just need support, friends or family, someone to just be around on a regular basis. If I still have a job there will be no break or massage, I will need to work even harder to fix things and prove myself, even if I plan on leaving and just want to leave on good terms.
    Saying prayers for good things to happen in your life, Zoe. I can't help but feel that if you do get fired by these folks, it will turn out to be a blessing in disguise, as you are not happy in that job and they do not treat you well and nothing you do seems to make it better. I think you deserve to be much happier at work and a better job is definitely out there for you!

If you don't get fired, but they have some "plan for improvement" this is a great warning to keep going with your plan to seek a new job. I would go so far as saying that the universe may want you to be teaching somewhere else, in another state. Florida is very aggressively looking for teachers, and you do not have a mortgage or even a lease in two months, and you could sub down there, too. It might be a fun thing to do for a few years--you can always live lightly and go back to Colorado after a break.

And buy a cheap computer if you cannot do your job searching with what you have. Walmart tends to have the best cheap computer prices.

You are a valuable person, and skilled, creative, and competent. Do not let these folks make you feel bad about yourself anymore.

I do know that no matter what I need to leave. I had a bright moment where there was a positive tone with my supervisor's boss in emails, and a little from him. Then I feel the negative again. It is pervasive, Another person in my position left without any job lined up recently. He just said the stress pushed him too far. I was talking with a colleague about how much has changed in 5 years (and posted about it in the people contact thread). I really think I did better with 4 schools and 30 tasks each than one school and 100 highly detailed different tasks. I have been saying that for a couple years, but when the department changed it was not a choice for any of us. Plus we had contact with colleagues on a much more regular basis, involvement with the decisions that affected us, just very small things that added up to a more supportive environment. I can't even recall the last time anyone called me, personally or professionally.

I have a last day in mind in case I choose to resign, it would be enough time to get things in order but I can't even imagine a new person being able to prepare for and run my summer program collaboration. It has already started with a big recruitment push that takes building relationships with multiple people and knowing the program deeply. I can see them getting through this school year without me but am concerned about summer.

I got a call back from the HR representative and that was nice, I do know I am getting a corrective action and am not getting fired. That makes it much easier, She did a lot of HR speak but assured me that I had a right to have accommodations if needed at work, if they are able to work with them, I just want them to know now. This has been too hard for too long, I also will respond to this one. I didn't over the last one. Basically I learned that insubordination is any time you are told something to do and you don't get it done regardless of the size of the task or the reason you didn't get it done. Yes it makes sense, and I am glad that I don't manage that way, She did ask if I needed to take time off, well that just means more things not getting done but I have accrued 30 days of vacation so that means I really am not taking reasonable amounts of time off on a regular basis, and it is not because I don't want to.

I still have counselor and psychiatrist to talk to.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe Girl View Post
    I got a call back from the HR representative and that was nice, I do know I am getting a corrective action and am not getting fired.
    Haha.. be honest. Were you at all disappointed?

But really, I'm sure just knowing that puts your mind as ease.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Actually no, i can still walk in any timeto and give my notice. That gives a little more confidence to the process. Getting fired would have probably landed me in an er somewhere and then findinga way to stay withthe someone until i was a little bit better.

I left a messagefor a ccounselor and can talk resigning with him. I do however really want to justtake off for a long weekend or before summer program, but don't think i will still be here at thisjob

Like I said you don't know And a government entity is generally going to have more bureaucracy and procedures they often go through before it ever gets to firing. Disappointed, heh well misery loves company, but the job market doesn't seem nearly as good as we are being constantly told and it's best not to have to know this through experience, so really it's all best avoided.

Use it as a sign to do everything within your power to get out of there I think (although we can see what the feedback is, minor or more major etc) while trying to keep your job in the meantime, and you can know you did all you could.
    Trees don't grow on money

You have a goal and a plan and so what if you get a corrective action. So What. Thank them for their feedback, give them any corrective info to inaccurate info they have, apologize for whatever, promise to do better, and get out of the meeting. It might also be possible to subtly advise them of the huge amount of work coming up for the summer program which you are involved in.

Take some vacation or make a weekend a vacation. Even if it is to stay home, eat in bed, crochet/knit something, watch a movie, etc. Listen to some positive audio book or music. Something to occupy your time. Do not answer your phone. Or maybe play with grandbaby. Try to keep work out of your mind.

Not sure your HR has the right definition of insubordination. If you are trying to get things done and are working in the direction given by supervisor and something is missed, not deliberately or with knowledge, it does not appear to be insubordination. https://www.shrm.org/resourcesandtoo...ms_020144.aspx

Honestly, you ought to go see an employment lawyer and request a meeting about disability and accommodations. And tell him about the bogus definition of insubordination, very interesting; would not want that on my record and would be seeing an attorney now.

It might be good to take a short break, but if that time off would be paid out to you upon termination, then it might be worth holding onto as much as you can, since this could be another financial cushion. It's also good to have time off available if you need to go on interviews.

Yppej
    If I remember correctly you are on some type of medication. Depending on your diagnosis, or the side effects of the medicine, you may qualify for an accommodation. I would consider asking for this if it is an option.

Thread Information