Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: “walking” shoes

Thanks for the links!

I’ve walked for years for exercise and have never been concerned if my shoes were labeled for a specific activity or am I concerned about price (cheaper, I mean). If the shoe feels good and has good arch support they are good enough for me. Same for walking boots in the winter. I have a pair of Columbia boots for winter walking. No research, just tried them on, liked them and they have served me well for 20 or so years.

I had a high-tech New Balance fitting years ago and those shoes are still the most comfortable. I have since gone to Saucony and I like those as well. Both versions are more of the Cross training / walking style as opposed to running shoes.

My edit button never works, anyone else have that problem? Anyway I have the Saucony Cohesion 9. Turns out they ARE classifying it as a running shoe. Very stable. I have no natural balance and have been known to roll an ankle with those "minimalist" style shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by goldensmom View Post
    I’ve walked for years for exercise and have never been concerned if my shoes were labeled for a specific activity or am I concerned about price (cheaper, I mean). If the shoe feels good and has good arch support they are good enough for me. Same for walking boots in the winter. I have a pair of Columbia boots for winter walking. No research, just tried them on, liked them and they have served me well for 20 or so years.
    I agree. I'm skeptical of many of the things we "need" to have depending on whether we're running, walking, playing basketball, or hopscotch. Have you ever read Born to Run? I realize I'm not 20 anymore and that as I get older my feet may have special needs, but I tend to be skeptical about how marketers present the solutions to those needs. Why sell one kind of athletic shoe, if you can sell one for every activity that takes place on two feet?
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Williamsmith
    As long as the shoes are fifty bucks or less....it qualifies in my book. I guess my feet are worth about twenty-five dollars a piece then. I figure a company that has their shoes made in a third world country by children ought to be able to sell them that cheap to hordes of American consumers.

I wear Easy Spirit Traveltine shoes for everything.
    They are expensive so I wait for a sale. They are very comfortable and I tend to have foot pain if I don't have a good shoe.

One problem with shoes, like lots of other kinds of consumer items, is that brand names don't seem to mean too much any more. You can love a particular model of a particular brand, but by the time you get around to replacing them with what you think is the same thing, you're getting something made in a different factory and probably a different country.

Case in point: A few years ago I bought a pair of New Balance running shoes that wore like iron. Replaced them with NB, but didn't get the same quality.

I liked Merrill trail shoes for a while and owned several pair but felt like their durability kind of went downhill. I love my OBoz--most comfortable trail shoes I've ever owned and very sturdy. Not cheap--about $140 retail. But I plan to buy another pair before they discontinue the model.

Quote Originally Posted by oldhat View Post
    One problem with shoes, like lots of other kinds of consumer items, is that brand names don't seem to mean too much any more. You can love a particular model of a particular brand, but by the time you get around to replacing them with what you think is the same thing, you're getting something made in a different factory and probably a different country.

Case in point: A few years ago I bought a pair of New Balance running shoes that wore like iron. Replaced them with NB, but didn't get the same quality.

I liked Merrill trail shoes for a while and owned several pair but felt like their durability kind of went downhill. I love my OBoz--most comfortable trail shoes I've ever owned and very sturdy. Not cheap--about $140 retail. But
    I plan to buy another pair before they discontinue the model.
    My husband discovered the same thing. Now if he finds something he likes he usually buys two just in case the one he likes is discontinued or changes in quality. I won't, however, let him do that with trucks.

I walk into my favourite discount shoe store in my Merrels and buy another pair. I have tried so many brands including pricey ones but keep coming back to Merrels for walking the 1 1/2 hours each day with my dog. Very comfortable. The Saucony's have a soft heel that I need a shoe horn to keep up when I put my foot into the shoe. I don't with Merrels.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Thread Information