Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: “walking” shoes

“walking” shoes

I read a piece by New Balance, the maker of athletic shoes, that emphasized how one should buy the correct shoes for a specific activity. This really isnt news to me,
    I have known this for a while. The padding is different on walking shoes than in, for instance, running sjoes.

so what do you all think about this? How important is it to have “walking” shoes for just walking? I never run, I dont hike.

I generally just buy athletic shoes that are cool looking and comfortable. I dont have teouble with my feet (escept for a bunion when weather is changing) but
    I do wonder if I would better serve my feet by getting walking shoes. There are not many to choose from in the stores.

Williamsmith
    I have become partial to a certain model of Sketchers. I can get them for about $50 at the outlet. The right shoe makes a difference.

I believe that with aging the padding on the soles of the feet gradually thins, so a "Walking" shoe for an old croc like me needs to have abundant cushioning. My last purchase was Propet Life Walkers. These have 2 Velcro straps instead of laces... so they make a ripping statement when they are put on or taken off. I am not embarrassed, but some of the more delicate members of my family have noted that it sounds as though someone is breaking wind... and of course, I am the only one in the room who is bent over at the moment they hear the ripping! <wink>

I have constant feet and knee pain and the only thing that has helped are Crocs, so I wear them 8 months of the year, but in the snowy months here, I wear boots. The last few days I have been wearing boots and mall walking and my feet are in agony. So I am ordering some new crocs--the nubby things wear down, and the heels wear down, so you have to get new ones to get the full effect.

Quote Originally Posted by Williamsmith View Post
    I have become partial to a certain model of Sketchers. I can get them for about $50 at the outlet. The right shoe makes a difference.
    Sketchers for me as well. I never used to be an "athletic shoe" (snobby word for sneakers) person. Ballet flats were my go-to shoe for everyday wear. Can't remember the transition--it may have been when I got into a fairly short-lived spurt of running, and I stuck with the running shoes, which weren't "running" shoes--they were just my regular Sketchers. I don't know why I like that particular brand over others except they fit really well, and they feel like slippers. When I tried running on a regular basis a second time I bought Mizunas on Amazon Prime Day. I hate them. They're so big and clunky, and they're supposed be good support and give good stability yada yada but they feel like big blocks at the end of my legs. Plus they're purple--that was the only color that was on sale.

My daughter's boyfriend works as a designer for Reebok and when she makes fun of my Sketchers, he tells me "that's OK. My mom wears Sketchers, too." And here I thought I was cool.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

What kind of Sketchers, Catherine? I see them and I have bought them for my sons. I need something super comfortable-can you send a link of something you recommend as comfortable but work-worthy, since I may have to be out looking for jobs soon.

Catherine, I agree that little Sketchers always look so light and dancy in the store. I do end up with big clunker shoes sometimes and I like streamlined ones.

WilliamSmith talked about getting the same model shoe overand over. Well hell, I cant seem to replicate my successful shoes because I cant find a model number. They are prnted inside the shoe but wear off. And when I go back to buy them again trying to see them online there are hundreds of models, it seems.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 3-14-18 at 10:05am.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    What kind of Sketchers, Catherine? I see them and I have bought them for my sons. I need something super comfortable-can you send a link of something you recommend as comfortable but work-worthy, since I may have to be out looking for jobs soon.
    To IL's point, I think the ones I'm wearing now are discontinued, but here is a link to the closest two I can find. Mine are somewhere in between:

https://www.skechers.com/en-us/style...ts-suited/gytq

https://www.skechers.com/en-us/style...-paradise/gybl

And I see I'm spelling "Skechers" wrong.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Dado, you are too funny!
    I am a huge fan of the Merrell brand, as is my Mom, my sister and now my husband. These have always been a favorite:
    https://www.amazon.com/Merrell-Women...+encore+breeze

Williamsmith
    My model is the 50125 in synthetic upper for indoor gym use and warm dry summer walking. I use a leather upper of same model for the wetter seasons. For winter, I picked up a waterproof replica of the Skechers made by Hi-Tech.

The key is to get ahead of the game by having a brand new replacement in the box sitting in your closet before you need it. Same goes for my winter jacket which is warm and lightweight made by Columbia.

Thread Information