Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: “walking” shoes

My guideline is whether I do a lot of whatever activity calls for a special shoe. For instance, for my new bike I will wear my plain ol' New Balance all-purpose athletic shoes. But if I start putting on piles of miles or start doing longer trips, it will make sense to buy bicycle shoes (which have cleats in them which lock onto the pedal for more efficient pedaling). They're barely usable elsewhere but they're the right tool for the job. I never used to discriminate among different types of athletic shoes, but when I wore through a pair of NB running shoes within a year or so, I was told that people go for running shoes partially for their construction and partially for their lightness. That lightness did not serve an overweight casual wearer (me). I know basketball players typically need a shoe which will support their ankles. That's another thing I don't need to go grocery shopping. But if I played basketball a lot, it would be worth getting shoes optimized for that activity.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

I walk about 2.5 miles to work and then back. I've used New Balanced shoes for years. I tried walking styles but prefer the fit of the runners so have stuck with that.

I like the lightness weight wise of running shoes.

Someone once told me that you can use running shoes for walking, but not walking shoes for running. I bought NB running shoes many years ago and have since given up running but they are fine for walking.

My work shoes have to be black and non-slip and I spent $60+ on a pair of Skechers. They are worth every penny. They're over a year old and the leather looks great. The memory foam insert, however, is worn out. The places where I have calluses on my feet have made holes right through the insert. Now I just buy cheap ones to cover it. Since I'm on my feet 40 hours a week, I don't mind spending what to me is a big chunk of change for my work shoes.

Thread Information