Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Two Households

Rosa, I love that chair.

We have nothing “nice” in our Weekend house other than two brand new beds (super comfortable!) and silverplate cutlery. Everything else is crap because we will be tearing apart the house and I dont want nice stuff subject to plaster dust and the ravages of construction.

I hadnt seen DH’s dowry china for decades until last week. Ugh. It has a silver rim around each piece which disqualifies it for use in the microwave oven so not only is it hideous in looks it is not even practical.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    We have nothing “nice” in our Weekend house other than two brand new beds (super comfortable!) and silverplate cutlery. Everything else is crap because we will be tearing apart the house and I dont want nice stuff subject to plaster dust and the ravages of construction.

I hadnt seen DH’s dowry china for decades until last week. Ugh. It has a silver rim around each piece which disqualifies it for use in the microwave oven so not only is it hideous in looks it is not even practical.
    I went to drop off some stuff at Goodwill yesterday and walked through the store afterwards--I was so excited to see how many good choices for dinnerware and glassware they had! I promised my DH that I wasn't going to buy anything else until we got up to VT, but at $1.09 a plate, it killed me to pass up some of the bargains. Plus, I already have a plain white set of dinnerware I plan on using. Only drawback is it's a box of only 4 place settings, but I probably won't need more than that for a while.

But I did cheat. I could not pass up a really cool set of bowls that sit inside each other. There about 7 of them, ranging from a nice size mixing bowl down to the size of a condiment dish. It was $20, and because it looked cool in a Fiestaware kind of way, and it's so practical from a small space perspective I bought it.

I'm definitely going to put Goodwill on my list of placed to go to when we need things like that.

Rosa, that chair is really cool. Thanks for posting the picture. I'm still stressing about the wild colors, but you guys made me feel better.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Those nesting bowls are cool. i always thought they were the perfect wedding present if one wanted to give inexpensive physical objects. I have seen the clear sets but not the colored bowls.

I like the pink tile too. I enjoy seeing the pics and it will be fun to see your progress.

This is week two in spending some days in one house, some days in another.

My Sense of Garlic Supply, usually infallible, was off kilter. I have no garlic in Hermann and
    I skipped it twice in grocery stores because I could picture it in the fridge. How can I cook without garlic? i cant.

I am using up tons of paper bowls, a stack we have had for 3 years, purchased for an event that didnt take place.

I still have no dinner plates to use in the microwave and that is a severe limitation.

our Hermann kitchen is completely adequate in storage for two people in a weekend house, but the cabinets are deep and dirty, I think original paint from 1940’s. Maybe. The counter space is completely inadequate.

Our architect came over (he lives across the street) for the initial meet and greet and to get our overall ideas of what to do to this hoise. The upstairs bedrooms are cute garret type bedrooms BUT the headroom at the top of the stairs is practically non existant.

we found deer scat, fresh,in the yard today. I hate deer. Hate them.

I continue to be amazed at the services in this little town of 2,400 people. There is a nursery half a mile from our house they will deliver wood chips next week.

Our Hermann house has scads and scads ofdaylilies coming ip, and I fear they are all the crappy orange kind. Only those things geow like weeds.

I am pulling oit landscaping logs from 20 years ago, most all of them rotten. Am digging out the rerod. I feel like Paul Bunyan when I get them out. We pile them on the truck and bring them to St. Louis for disposal because our garbage service is FABuLOUSin the city here.

Dairy products—still figuring out how to manage them. When we spend 2-3 days in one house, the milk may spoil in another house. DH drinks full fat milk and his never spoils, but I drink skim milk and it sits around too long. Still working on that.

now here is something— the cheap SAve a Lot grocery store in
    hermann sells reduced fat yogurt that I love. Love it! It is very sour. Now, will I have to buy my yogurt in Hermann and trek it to St. Louis? We shall see.

Already I keep a long narrow box to contain things to shlep back and forth.

Today the mayor of Hermann knocked on our door, paying a personal visit. Well, he is out campaiging in a hot mayorial race, but I can assure you that the mayor of St. Louis has never knocked on my door in 30 years.

We have a designated bin to store the things that are *here* and need to be *there* , so that follows along with your box, IL.

We are planning our next trip to Hermann around the weather. It seems we will have 7 days in a row with no rain. Yowza!!!

This will be the first time we ride in the same car because DH has been hauling stuff in his truck and trailer. Since we took possession a month ago he has been there 4 times and I have been there 2 times.

I think the flexibility required to plan these 2-3day trips to Hermann is good for my brain. .....?...maybe. I have to plan around weather and committments to organizations in which I am active, amd DH’s committments in same.

It is cool that we have a welcoming friend in
    Hermann in the daffodil society President. Funny that she took the
    judge from New Zealand past our house in Hermann over the weekend. He was in Hermann to look at her extensive farm of daffodils.

Thread Information