Page 14 of 24 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Two Households

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    How are you liking having 2 houses?
    So far it is fine. A bonus I didnt really think about is an ability for each of us to be in one house alone.
    I spent two nights in Hermann last week, all in complete silence. I could have turned on a radio although I dont know which channels I would get. But I didn't invite noise and it was nice.

As of today there isnt a whole lot for me to do As far as gardening goes in Hermann. i have to wait for DH to build terraced beds. He has hpurs and days and weeks of work. So far, none of it has been outsourced. That will soon be a problem.

I spent two days tearing out magic lilies and tree roots and some shrubbery, and I am now convinced that i want to hire a bobcat to get out all of the plants. It is too damned hard fo dig this crap out by hand. And,
    I have already completed all of the hand digging that is necessary to save the few plants I want saved.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    This holiday weekend was our first one in hosting people in Hermann other than a trial run with one person a few weeks ago.

We had three guests. Technically we have four bedrooms but cooling systems are problematic for the upstairs and it is hot and muggy already here. Anyway, it all worked out. And one of our guests brought his blow up mattress, so that proved handy and I think we will get one. It is difficult to wrestle real beds to the upstairs rooms. We got a donation of a futon and that works well in one bedroom.

I was a little stressed in shopping for food ( new grocery store, where is everything?) and cooking for a small crowd in a new-to-me kitchen. But that all went fine as I only had to make two breakfasts, a small lunch, and a big lunch.

For this cooking gig I had an instance or two in trying to remember where prodcts were stored and IF I even had that product I could picture in my head at that specific house. Yes, the two house problem.
    I hear ya. I brought from NJ my grains. I remember when I went for my six week hiatus to Ocean Grove several years ago I brought practically nothing, but I did bring my grains--rice, quinoa, barley, lentils. My DD thought that was so weird. But doesn't one always need grains? I know I do.

So, here in VT, I put them in cute containers on my open shelving. I also brought just a few things from NJ because the pantry is so small. But I hear ya about needing to know what you have in one house vs the other. But so far, so good. We've managed to have some good meals even though the kitchen allows for very few things.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Catherine, please post interior photo of the couch en place when you get the chance--can't wait to see the new digs!

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    Catherine, please post interior photo of the couch en place when you get the chance--can't wait to see the new digs!
    These are VERY PRELIMINARY photos.. we have a lot of work to do, but here are a couple of pictures of the interior--and I couldn't resist including one with tonight's sunset as well

Here is the couch! You can also see the tin birds that my DIL gave me, and the Vermont moose picture my DD's bf gave me for Christmas, and the painting my alcoholic brother painted, which I love, and the binoculars to bird-watch out back. And I found that floor lamp with a matching table lamp for $30 at a used furniture store.

Frankly, I've kept the couch covered in a blanket because I don't want it to get too dirty too fast.

IMG_4223.jpg

Here's a picture that I finally had framed--it's a limited edition print by my favorite folk artist Stephen Huneck--I love it because the yellow dog looks like my first dog and the black dog looks like the dog that just died in February. I had it matted and framed, and I'm pleased with the results.

IMG_4226.jpg

And, in conclusion, here is tonight's sunset.

IMG_4221.jpg
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town

It's looking good, Catherine!

Wow! It is perfect-, and I love the dog painting. And the lake--well, that makes it incredible, and I would be there year round. You have a woodstove, right? You will be warm enough! We insulate with straw bales, and then use them in the garden in the spring. I think we saved a whole load of propane from the second year when we started insulating--it really makes an incredible difference.

And when we moved in, we had a guy stop by and say, "you won't last six months--one winter and you will be out of here." Not the friendliest of welcomes, but it made me stubbornly invested in staying.

Really beautiful!

Thank you, guys.

I just love this house. It is SO me. I feel so lucky, and I can't believe I have it all for a (to me) very reasonable price!! (15 year monthly mortgage payment=the price of a very moderate one-bedroom apartment). I couldn't buy a million dollar home that would make me one bit happier.

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Thank you, guys.

I just love this house. It is SO me. I feel so lucky, and I can't believe I have it all for a (to me) very reasonable price!! (15 year monthly mortgage payment=the price of a very moderate one-bedroom apartment). I couldn't buy a million dollar home that would make me one bit happier.
    It makes me so happy to read this; glad everything worked out so well!

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    It makes me so happy to read this; glad everything worked out so well!
    I know! Really nice!

Thread Information