Page 21 of 24 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: Two Households

[QUOTE=iris lilies;314295]This house is cheap to live in. Taxes are $1000 a year. All utilities total $1500 a year. That does not include any cable or online connectivity.

This house is easily livable the way it currently stands without rennovations. If we lost all of our money and pension, we could live here fairly easily on Social Security income. The one big downside here is yard care—It is big, on a hill, and requires time and equipment for maintenance.[/QUOTE
    As a noted passionate tree lover, you could simply reforest the whole yard and enjoy nature
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

So got curious and our same utilities are 3600/year but our property taxes only 700/year. We have baseboard electric heat which is more expensive.

[QUOTE=razz;314329]
    Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    This house is cheap to live in. Taxes are $1000 a year. All utilities total $1500 a year. That does not include any cable or online connectivity.

This house is easily livable the way it currently stands without rennovations. If we lost all of our money and pension, we could live here fairly easily on Social Security income. The one big downside here is yard care—It is big, on a hill, and requires time and equipment for maintenance.[/QUOTE
    As a noted passionate tree lover, you could simply reforest the whole yard and enjoy nature
    haha. Nope.

Still having trouble with remembeing which house has which kitchen supplies. Grated parm cheese? Hermann has it, city house does not. Garlic? Any more than one garlic head gets old in Hermann, so I have to schlep garlic and onions back and forth. We have to,eatbup our onion supply because we grew them and they go,soft, so buying them when in Hermann isnt a good thing. Eventually we will have an onion field in Hermann.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Still having trouble with remembering which house has which kitchen supplies. Grated parm cheese? Hermann has it, city house does not. Garlic? Any more than one garlic head gets old in Hermann, so I have to schlep garlic and onions back and forth. We have to,eatbup our onion supply because we grew them and they go,soft, so buying them when in Hermann isn't a good thing. Eventually we will have an onion field in Hermann.
    We take perishables back and forth. When we're at the cabin, we never know if we can truly go back the next weekend or 2. We learned the hard way. We just bring it home if not completely consumed. I have a wicker basket nonrefridgerated items travel in. So not used items, go right back into it when packing up for departure.

IL, I would just hire the work done in Hermann and move in when done. With all the crime I would sell St Louis house. Problem of what is where is solved)

I am now struggling with perishables between our two households.

I am beginning to think I need to toss fresh vegetables into our “back and forth” tote so as to avoid grocery shopping. I bought a small bag of fresh veg that I used as salad for 2 meals. But I had cabbage and green lettuce at home, could hsve brought them. milk— just need to haul it from one place to another.

our refridgerator here in Hermann is running too cold and it freezes the carrots! Ugh.

oh, Gardnr, I see that you already said you take perishables back-and-forth. Yes! I am thinking that is what needs to happen here with us.

When do you think that you will get too tired of living between two households and shut one down? I would be exhausted trying to what you are doing plus all the physical efforts in renovating as well.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    When do you think that you will get too tired of living between two households and shut one down? I would be exhausted trying to what you are doing plus all the physical efforts in renovating as well.
    It doesnt make me tired, the two places —country vs city— are interesting.

Despite our plan to completely renovate this Hermann house, and that means pull off the old drywall down to the studs because the drywall is awful —like cardboard, this Hermann house is easy to live in. I really marvel at how easy it is to have everything on one floor, and this time of year things are very clean because we are inside no dog hair shedding or mud.

But then, I think about our city house and I am happy with our first floor and I live on the first floor and barely use part of the second floor. The third-floor I do not venture into. The basement storage in my flower show stuff that is the place that is overwhelming

So you are around the one year mark of 2 houses.

Thread Information