Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Two Households

So, I'm going through a bit of, not buyer's remorse necessarily, but more of buyer's "did I do the right thing?"

We are planning on spending very little decorating the VT house--with only 700 square feet, there's not much to buy. But we do need a bed, and a new couch. I'm buying the couch new because there are specific things I'm looking for--a smaller size, an ability to convert it into additional sleeping. Also, it's the one piece of furniture that will be a focal point. You walk in the door and that's the only thing you're going to see. There's no room for any armchairs or anything else. So I plan on one good piece of new furniture and then buy accent tables, etc. from flea markets/craigslist.

So on the way home from Burlington we stopped off at a furniture store. I don't know what happened, but DH and I walked directly over to one piece of furniture that seemed perfect. It checked all the boxes. It especially checked the box I have in my mind for "fun" and "whimsical" as the decorating tone I'm looking to achieve.

But now I look at it and I'm saying to myself "egad." Is it too much?? I'm going to keep everything else in the place understated to balance it out. The colors are bright, but the hues are slightly off--I was thinking red v orange-red and sage green v olive green. But I'm flexible on that.

You guys who are artists and who have a great visual sense--what do you think? I'm posting the link to the sofa as well as to pictures of my living room. Can you envision this sofa in a room with an artsy bohemian vibe, or do you think it's going to scream at people?

http://futonland.com/index/page/prod...xoCQmMQAvD_BwE

IMG_0232.jpg

Here is a picture of the same room, different angle: it's one of the listing pictures, so the couch is a picture of the previous owner's.

4669045_0_6YEQ2Z_l.jpg

Not sure why one came out right-size up and the other's upside down.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

No artistic sense here, but I love it!

Catherine,
    The sofa you are looking at is the "Unfurl Sofa Bed Wild Flower Tropical," is that correct? I must preface my opinion with the disclaimer that I am very much into subdued color schemes. I like a serene backdrop, and every room in my house is pretty much either blue and white or green and white. So that being said, I would not like to even be in the same building with that sofa; it would give me a headache.

ETA: I'm not one of the artists in our crew either, so you can take what I say with a grain of salt. I would be more likely to go with a more neutral sofa and colorful pillows and throws that could be more easily changed up.

I think you could make it work, depending on paint colors, etc. If not, it would be easy to slipcover.

I think I am like Rosa and tend to go with serene--lots of off white in my house, and when I get my new place am going to do Ektorp in a sleeper if I can find it, with off white slipcovers. So I am probably not the right person, either--I have trouble seeing this couch as a place to cuddle up and read a story to a grandchild, etc-- just that you are going to have family and lounging around going on; it looks uncomfortable to me?

But it is a smashing print, for sure, and does hit the whimsical note!

Or I might go with something like this one:

http://futonland.com/index/page/prod...+Bed+by+Sunset

but I know that is not the color palette your are looking at, but then I would be painting everything white, so it would work for me.

I love the floral of that sofa thingie. It is a statement piece and your instinct to decorate around it is sound. If you let it set the colors of yoir cottage, that will be good.

edited to add : probably I would paint walls the colorof the cream background of the soda. Maybe I would paint them sage green, but I think you want light and bright. I would paint one wall the red of the sofa. If doing cream, I might paint woodwork exactly the same color, it is simple. Add tiny blue accents, like blue canisters on the kitchen counter.

What material are floors and kitchen counter space?

I love it! I think white walls and then I personally would pick out the blue for accents because I am not that fond of reds. It will make you smile every time you walk in!

I agree with IL's suggestions.

Oh wait, catherine’s woodwork is natural. Then leave that, woodwork painting is nasty time consuming.

Thread Information