Page 8 of 24 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Two Households

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Sterling tablespoons are expensive. Just get plate.
    Just saw 6 silverplate tablespoons circa 1914, when my aunt built her cottage, on Ebay for $13. I'll wait until I see what I can find in thrift shops/antique shops up in VT.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

What do you all do for internet service in your weekend houses? The rural places have fewer choices, slower service, in general.
    for the very reason you list, we pay for cable internet monthly. Yes it's spendy for the little time we are there. But we both are accountable to our employers 24/7 via job description so connectivity is mandatory. Our hotspot is not as reliable as the cable.

I am in line to get a hotspot device from the local piblic library. I want to try it out in Hermann.

Arggghhh.. I hate making paint/color palette decisions.

I am trying to pick ONE color as the main accent color in my house to keep it from looking too jumbled up. Not just on the walls, but in terms of pillows, rugs, etc.

For reference, here again is the sofa, from which I am going to base my color scheme.

I'm also attaching a link that still happens to have the old listing from the house.

Should I pick cerulean blue as a primary accent color, with some kind of orange as a secondary?
    Or should I go with the greens: either a forest green or a warmer green like a sage? Orange as secondary.
    I love red, but I don't know if it has a place in this color scheme.

If I paint all the walls a neutral color, should it be a cool beige-type (the color in the background of the print), or a green or yellow neutral color?

My house now is basically primary colors but cooled down with a lot of grey mixed in: i.e. terra cotta instead of red; "silver sage" instead of blue/green. I really love my main house colors, but in a way it would be fun to funk up my second house with brighter colors. I'd like to keep the previous owner's somewhat bohemian vibe.

HELP!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town

We will get this sorted out, never fear. But I am confused about your concept of primary and secondary accent colors. I thnk that is wrong.

My instinct, without seeing your place, is that it is way too small to be thinking of multiple “accent” colors. Pick one.

Everything in your small place needs to relate to your sofa. Pick one main color for walls. Pick one accent color. Use the accent color in pillows, throws, kitchen counter items, and perhaps a small wall in living area and/or bathroom.

Fortunately, there is a lot to work with in the colors of the sofa. I do kinda like the idea of sagey green from the sofa as a main wall color. Or use the cream as main color and sage as accent if you are overwhelmed by the sofa. Using quieter colors on the walls allows the sofa to stand pit but not overwhelm.

because I love red I would probably do cream as a main color and red as accent.

Just yesterday I was thinking about sage, and how quickly I tired of it several years ago when I used it in a bedroom. Yet I do like yellowy-greens, its just that sage has too much grey in it for my taste.

We will get this sorted out, never fear. But I am confused about your concept of primary and secondary accent colors. I thnk that is wrong.

My instinct, without seeing your place, is that it is way too small to be thinking of multiple “accent” colors. Pick one.

Everything in your small place needs to relate to your sofa. Pick one main color for walls. Pick one accent color. Use the accent color in pillows, throws, kitchen counter items, and perhaps a small wall in living area and/or bathroom.

Fortunately, there is a lot to work with in the colors of the sofa. I do kinda like the idea of sagey green from the sofa as a main wall color. Or use the cream as main color and sage as accent if you are overwhelmed by the sofa. Using quieter colors on the walls allows the sofa to stand pit but not overwhelm.

Just yesterday I was thinking about sage, and how quickly I tired of it several years ago when I used it in a bedroom. Yet I do like yellowy-greens, its just that sage has too much grey in it for my taste.
    Thanks, IL. To your point, "pick one" is exactly my question. But they say that the rule of thumb for color proportion is 60-30-10: 60 being the primary color, 30 being the accent, and the 10% is just those little pops of color (like a red tea kettle on a stove). So unless I go completely monochromatic, I do have the opportunity to pull in a second accent color and use it very sparingly.

I agree about the cream/off-white on the walls, but I have to force my husband and son to trust me on that. They love the wacky walls already. I feel like I have to do a Joanna and Chip on this and don't let them in until I'm all done decorating.

ETA: I'm kind of entranced by this color scheme, but I think it would take a TON of skill to balance it right, especially in a small house. But, beyond how wild it is, I could still just use that cerulean and orange for small accents. I wouldn't paint the walls that color (I might consider painting the bedroom walls that color.)

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Thanks, IL. To your point, "pick one" is exactly my question. But they say that the rule of thumb for color proportion is 60-30-10: 60 being the primary color, 30 being the accent, and the 10% is just those little pops of color (like a red tea kettle on a stove). So unless I go completely monochromatic, I do have the opportunity to pull in a second accent color and use it very sparingly.

I agree about the cream/off-white on the walls, but I have to force my husband and son to trust me on that. They love the wacky walls already. I feel like I have to do a Joanna and Chip on this and don't let them in until I'm all done decorating.
    Ok, I can see that, the three prong approach to color makes for a richer environment. There is more room for confusion, though, I suppose.

if you are doing three color, I would then make one of them a lighter shade of the other. Such as

1) cream/light sage/dark sage

2) sage/yellow/light yellow

3) cream/dark blue/ light blue

red doesnt “lighten up” very well, in my opinion.

I like red too--it's cheerful and versatile.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    I like red too--it's cheerful and versatile.
    I can't remember what zodiac signs you red-lovers are, but I'm Aries, and red has long been my favorite color.

Looking at the photos of the pictures you liked, and I really liked the denim grasscloth! what about picking up the lighter denim blue from the flower sofa and making that a wall color? Pop color could be red from the sofa. Orangey red pops really well against the denim sky blue.

But I know me--I would paint everything a creamy white, because that is what I like. But I can see the appeal of the blue, looking at the pictures you shared.

Thread Information