Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Two Households

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Two Households

Here I will share triumphs and adversity in organizing two households. Anyone can chime in, two householder or not.

Tomorrow I am going to stay for the first time in the weekend house we purchased. DH took a load of stuff there once already but I haven't been there, too busy here in the city.

So, bedding—We had just enough sheet sets to cover all of the beds we own, those here and in Hermann. I bought an extra set today. I think we have enough blankets and comforters. I have been collecting those for some years because they serve us well as dog beds and etc. These havebeen easy to get in alleys and dumpsters. And funny, just today I picked ip a cheap blanket in perfect condition from our alley, the same blanket selling for $19.99 at Target.

A nice thing is that this second house is causing stuff to be cleared out of our city house.

Hey, cool! I'm in! Just got back from Vermont. I would have stayed longer but no bed and no plumbing was a little too much for more than a weekend. I brought up little things like cleaning agents. Didn't have to buy any--we have SO MANY duplicates in NJ. Also, I didn't have to buy paper towel and TP--I buy those at Costco and Who Needs A Crap respectively, in bulk, so I just grabbed a few rolls of each.

Brought up spare bedding also--had just gotten a comforter cleaned after my dog died, so that's the one I brought up--also a couple of blankets and extra pillows.

The little house has little single or double shelves running along the walls throughout that the previous owner built, so I brought up the Vermont snow globe my son bought us when he was pushing for us to buy up there. We also brought some tools and curtains.

Now for the adversity: I'm bummed about the curtains I bought, because I'm not sure they're going to work after all. We'll see, but I'm thinking I made a rash purchase when Country Curtains liquidated. Should have waited. Of the two different colors/styles I bought, one will probably get some use, but I'm not sure about the faux roman shades I bought.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

It's a fun adventure, IL. I have a full time home, the second home ( future plans to be snowbirds) and a motor home. In the beginning, dividing and furnishing each was actually helping to reduce my stuff at home #1. Unfortunately, I found quickly that if *it* was part of my everyday life here, I needed one there too. For instance, I dragged the razzle dazzle vacuum back and forth since it worked so much better than the $50 jobby I had there. And the tools! Ended up buying a second. Not frugal!

I found it helpful to have a full closet at the vacation home. Most of the clothes there were things I've gotten bored with and thrift findings. Beats having to pack - we just grab meds and dog food and go, now!

I save glass jars and seal up nonperishable foods too. Helps for late night arrivals (who wants to make a grocery run after driving), the tea bags, etc stay fresher and no pests.

Hey, all we declutterers can send stuff to IL and Catherine to stock their second homes!

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    Hey, all we declutterers can send stuff to IL and Catherine to stock their second homes!
    Yeah, do it! I'll pay shipping!

As for dishes, tempting thought! But my son is giving me back some dishes that I bought him when he got his apartment. Also, because I have open shelving I'm going to be pretty strict about dishes and glassware. It's going to have to have a cohesive look.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I have china if you need it, Catherine and Iris Lilies! I think this is actually kind of cool idea--crowdsource your house furnishings!

Yes, Imerullo, that is my plan too, to just grab meds and Computers (always the dog meds, we dont take prescription stuff) and go.I can see that having the right tool at both places is essential.

dishes! We’ve got enough of them! But thank you all. We are using a set that DH brought to our marriage, it was part of his dowry. It has been stored for 30 years because he refuses to get rid of them and I refuse to use the, they are ugly. Now they will be used for a while. I am taking our big set of silverplate because I have no,
    dishwasher there and it will be nice to use that, anyway. The cutlery will offset the ugly dishes.

I know a lot of people have second homes but it sounds like too much work for me. I hope you love it IL) We do have a motorhome but that is pretty easy to pack when we are going on a trip. for the motorhome I bought a set of plastic dishes and some silverware at at garage sale that were brand new. The sellers of the RV also gave us stuff like plastic wine glasses, etc. So it is pretty easy and quick to pack to go.

I'm not sure I could handle two houses either but then I hope it works out for you two. We pretty much outfitted this house with thrift store/craigslist finds - that part has been creatively challenging and fun.

It's great fun. Relaxing. Simple. WE bought garage sale: sofa/love/a few cast iron skillets. bought a new mattress set for her and hauled our older one there. Dollar store for essentials. We started out carting stuff back/forth because when we bought it we drained our liquid savings for the biggest down payment possible. over time we have slowly duplicated and the kitchen is now fully stocked as is linen-I've been slowly converting to organic bed linens there.

We've kept it simple there (nearly 15y). "Decor" is minimal. 1250 sq is easy to clean in 15 minutes between the 2 of us. Dust/vacuum when we arrive if it's been more than 2w. Bathroom cleaned as needed.

Enjoy your new bliss!

Thread Information