Page 13 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Two Households

Gardnr: I will echo Herbgeek as I too am impressed with your streamlined routine. What part of the country are you in?
    I enjoy domestic routines up to a point. I like having a clean and tidy house, and I'm willing to do what it takes to keep it that way. But I don't like it when it feels all-consuming.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Jane, Maltese are princes/princesses and won't step foot on ground cover so they need grass)
    These are soft and leafy ( https://www.stepables.com/ ) but I fully support accommodating the little nippers.

Maltese are very fussy by nature. They don't like rain, water of any type, snow, cold, etc. Good thing they are also pad trained. So when you open the slider if the weather is not agreeable to them they put on the brakes and give you a weird look. As we spent a small fortune on good quality astro-turf we won't ever be changing it. Plus DH loves the maintenance free it presents.

Once a year I wash all the windows and curtains, etc. We have 2 patios with furniture on them so need to be cleaned regularly so we can use it. We have 3 fruit trees which drop flowers like crazy, a neighbor's tree does the same and it blows into our yard and our front yard is full of the neighbor's leaves. In fact this is the only house I have ever lived in where I spend a ton of time picking up the neighbor's leaves, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by herbgeek View Post
    I wish I had your ninja skills- do you have any recommended books/websites that helped you streamline things to the degree that you have? Are there other tips you've used that have helped?
    I think the key is not tons of stuff.

Dusting:
    Family Room has: 1 coffee table, 2 bookcases, old-fashioned high sterio stand with our flat screen on top. Bistro table/2 chairs in the corner by the big window that we eat most of our meals at. Leather sofa and love seat. Takes 2-3 minutes?
    Dining Room: inherited Mahogany set-table/6chairs, china hutch, and buffet. Again 2-3 minutes.
    "Living Room": holds my upright mahogany grand piano, computer table/chair, and my mid-arm quilting machine. Another 2-3 minutes.
    Master Bedroom; sleigh bed, 2 nightstands, armoire, sitting chair w/side table. Maybe 5m if I dust every slat in the bed.
    Quilt studio/guest room: My sewing table is a 4x8 sheet of melamine. There's a small side table and an old fashioned hope chest. Again maybe 2 minutes.

Vacuuming: nothing else is on the floor except what's described above except cat toys.

Kitchen cleanup: I cook and often rinse/load DW. DH does any needed handwashing, generally EO night. Maybe 10m/night unless I've cooked elaborately, then maybe it takes him 20m. Our counters are mostly empty: utensil jar, Cuisinart, pepper grinder, coffee maker and a platter that holds fruit on the island counter.

Bathrooms: Counters are clear except lotion/small pewter clock that was a gift from a Chief Nurse years ago, and DH's beardtrimmer. I clean main bath in 5m and DH cleans master in 15". (He tends to scrub down the shower and then take his shower right away

Laundry: over 12-14d I do 4-5 loads. We have a medium sized front load set so they hold a lot. And of course, working OR I don't use clothes much. I'll wear the same pant/shirt to work all week. I'm wearing it about 30m/day and then the weekend if we leave the house.

We have NO curtains/drapes. 6 windows/doors have interior shades. 9 windows have double cell shades that may or may not get vacuumed once/year.

I use the same cleaning solution for everything. Glass/mirrors is vinegar/water and all cleaning is vinegar/baking soda/water in a spray bottle. Dusting I just use a damp soft cloth.

By no means is our house white-glove ready. it's almost as dusty day 3 as day 14 so I don't dust even weekly. Same with vacuuming. We take off shoes at the door so we don't track stuff in. We'll go 3w sometimes.

I do this stuff in small bites.

other than being highly organized I really don't have hints. I've always been organized naturally I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    Gardnr: I will echo Herbgeek as I too am impressed with your streamlined routine. What part of the country are you in?
    I enjoy domestic routines up to a point. I like having a clean and tidy house, and I'm willing to do what it takes to keep it that way. But I don't like it when it feels all-consuming.
    Idaho-2nd home is in the central mountains. It's 2h 20m door to door and a world apart

Gardnr: My two takeaways from your routine are less stuff and not too rigid standards. Thanks for taking the time to share details.

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    Gardnr: My two takeaways from your routine are less stuff and not too rigid standards. Thanks for taking the time to share details.
    perfect analysis

This holiday weekend was our first one in hosting people in Hermann other than a trial run with one person a few weeks ago.

We had three guests. Technically we have four bedrooms but cooling systems are problematic for the upstairs and it is hot and muggy already here. Anyway, it all worked out. And one of our guests brought his blow up mattress, so that proved handy and I think we will get one. It is difficult to wrestle real beds to the upstairs rooms. We got a donation of a futon and that works well in one bedroom.

I was a little stressed in shopping for food ( new grocery store, where is everything?) and cooking for a small crowd in a new-to-me kitchen. But that all went fine as I only had to make two breakfasts, a small lunch, and a big lunch.

For this cooking gig I had an instance or two in trying to remember where prodcts were stored and IF I even had that product I could picture in my head at that specific house. Yes, the two house problem.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 5-27-18 at 1:35pm.

How are you liking having 2 houses?

Thread Information