Page 20 of 24 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Two Households

I love that the mural can be saved and that you found a home for the cabinet.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    That’s great IL! So how is the Hermann house coming?
    Also, DH announced yesterday that he will be installing a deer-proof fence around a 25’ garden area in Hermann. He is making a lily bed for me. Yayyay!

I am in the middle of moving hundreds of lilies from my big garden in the city (which we will be giving up) and am trying to cram them into exisitng spaces in my own yard and in the community garden.

This Hermann option opens up a whole new work routine, so now I can dig bulbs, store them in the giant refrigerator in our Hermann basement ( free from friends who moved) and put them in the ground next year, in Hermann.

See, the deer in Hermann are out of control and they eat lilies.

Wow, you do have a big garden. You must spend a ton of time tending to it. The I have heard that the deer can devastate gardens. Have you had plans drawn up for the inside of the house?

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Wow, you do have a big garden. You must spend a ton of time tending to it. The I have heard that the deer can devastate gardens. Have you had plans drawn up for the inside of the house?
    No plans yet. When I have a moment i will take photos of the floorplans drawn by our architect. I know you like to look at this stuff.

I am overwhelmed with the choices we have to make, and am pretty much ready to turn it over to DH to make all decisions.

Yesterday i told him:why dont we just build a double garage and leave the rest t of this house as is, with us just switching out finishes to modernize it. As if that isnt enough. iT IS!!!

Yes I do love that stuff. I love to do the planning and make all those kinds of decisions. So fun! I can see not so much for you)

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    No plans yet. When I have a moment i will take photos of the floorplans drawn by our architect. I know you like to look at this stuff.

I am overwhelmed with the choices we have to make, and am pretty much ready to turn it over to DH to make all decisions.

Yesterday i told him:why dont we just build a double garage and leave the rest t of this house as is, with us just switching out finishes to modernize it. As if that isnt enough. iT IS!!!
    I hear ya! I think the overwhelm accounts for my inertia this summer. Today I started thinking about re-staining the whole house with a solid stain, and I'm wondering, keep the brown, or go to a nice grey? I'm leaning toward the grey, but I definitely want an organic color.. like the color of driftwood.

And we're not even doing all the extensive renovations you are! I feel for you, truly. How do these TV show designers make it look so easy??
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I am surprised, IL, I thought that you had bought other little houses around you and fixed them up . What changed with the Hermanus house?
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    I am surprised, IL, I thought that you had bought other little houses around you and fixed them up . What changed with the Hermanus house?
    We only fix up the exterior of the small hoises and make them look as though they are habitable. They are not, in fact, habitable. We have not done floor plans with ese little houses although that would not be hard because they are so small, there really isnt a lot of choice.

Our Hermann house is complicated to renovate. It hurts my head to think about it.

This house is cheap to live in. Taxes are $1000 a year. All utilities total $1500 a year. That does not include any cable or online connectivity.

This house is easily livable the way it currently stands without rennovations. If we lost all of our money and pension, we could live here fairly easily on Social Security income. The one big downside here is yard care—it is big, on a hill, and requires time and equipment for maintenance.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    This house is cheap to live in. Taxes are $1000 a year. All utilities total $1500 a year. That does not include any cable or online connectivity.

This house is easily livable the way it currently stands without rennovations. If we lost all of our money and pension, we could live here fairly easily on Social Security income. The one big downside here is yard care—it is big, on a hill, and requires time and equipment for maintenance.
    You'll have plenty of extra for yard care, then. I'd plant ground cover, personally. And hire staff...

Thread Information