Page 17 of 24 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Two Households

Another two house problem:

Apoarently DH’s underwear is migrating to Hermann. He barely had enough underwear to take him five days out of town.

This seems strange, and needs further investigation.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Another two house problem:

Apoarently DH’s underwear is migrating to Hermann. He barely had enough underwear to take him five days out of town.

This seems strange, and needs further investigation.
    Hahaha! I hear ya! We (I should say DH--I am fine in the underwear department) have the same problem! Haven't resolved it yet, either!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Organizational challanges:

In Hermann do I keep a set of sheets in each bedroom, or do I keep sheets for the house all in one place? Neds are on two floors. So the choices are centralized or distributed storage. Hmmm? See, at home I only have two beds, both on the same floor, so it isnt such a dilemma, I keep sheets in the linen closet in the bathroom.

I may have found the answer to DH’s underwear problem. He appears to be packing clothing for every trip to Hermann. You may say “wait, you JUSt noticed this?” But cut me slack, people! I pack for dogs and kitchen and gardens, i do not notice what my husband puts in his backback.

anyways—-

He may be taking more underwear to Hermann than he brings back. He seemed surprised that I never take clothing to Hermann (because I have a stock of clothing there) and he needs to learn thatbconcept.

I have battled that question for years--all linens in the linen closet, or an extra set in individual bedrooms? (First world problem for sure) The verdict for me is, extra set in each bedroom. That also makes it easier to ensure you have the right size sheets if you have different size beds in the bedrooms, and it's so much easier to just reach into a closet and drawer and re-make the bed right after you've stripped it.

I am not a big fan of more sheets than you need, however. Here in VT, I have one extra set of sheets, and I'm using that one extra for the convertible sofa as well.

When I figure out what to do in my office/guest room in terms of type of bed, I'll most likely have only one set of sheets for that bed--But I might change my mind if my son continues to come up EVERY weekend as he's been doing, just in case I get backed up in laundry.

But the beauty of this tiny house is the stacked W/D is only steps away at any given time, so no excuse for not staying on top of it.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town

Latest update on the loud couch. I have officially deemed it a decorating mistake.

First, my husband finds it VERY uncomfortable. Even though he sat it in for a while before we bought it and gave it a thumbs up. My son comes up on his days off and he finds it uncomfortable to sleep on. So I got for free (with credit points) a mattress topper. That helps.

Second, I don't like the print. It feels "off" in here. I like it better when it's covered with a solid grey, purple or beige blanket. I'm not sure if it would make a big difference once I paint the green walls behind it a more neutral or complementary color, but I just think I didn't listen hard enough to my own preferences. I think I was overthinking it all--trying to turn the cottage into a funky "mid-century modern" cottage, when what I really want is a warm, cozy, muslin cottage.

So I'm thinking of sitting out this year, but next year using the crazy sofa in the second bedroom/office and buying two wing chairs to replace the sofa. My DH sits in an old Ethan Allen wing chair at home in NJ and he's very comfortable in it. He likes to be able to rest his head and sit up straight.

Oh, well. I'm bummed, but that's what I get for being a little over-anxious.

That's a bummer Catherine but we all make decorating mistakes. It sucks that it is not very comfortable. Hard to tell from trying it out in a store.

You have to make discoveries to learn. You have discovered your priorities for your new abode. There will be more, for sure.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Latest update on the loud couch. I have officially deemed it a decorating mistake.

First, my husband finds it VERY uncomfortable. Even though he sat it in for a while before we bought it and gave it a thumbs up. My son comes up on his days off and he finds it uncomfortable to sleep on. So I got for free (with credit points) a mattress topper. That helps.

Second, I don't like the print. It feels "off" in here. I like it better when it's covered with a solid grey, purple or beige blanket. I'm not sure if it would make a big difference once I paint the green walls behind it a more neutral or complementary color, but I just think I didn't listen hard enough to my own preferences. I think I was overthinking it all--trying to turn the cottage into a funky "mid-century modern" cottage, when what I really want is a warm, cozy, muslin cottage.

So I'm thinking of sitting out this year, but next year using the crazy sofa in the second bedroom/office and buying two wing chairs to replace the sofa. My DH sits in an old Ethan Allen wing chair at home in NJ and he's very comfortable in it. He likes to be able to rest his head and sit up straight.

Oh, well. I'm bummed, but that's what I get for being a little over-anxious.
    We bought a new sofa/loveseat combo last year. We hated it after the first week. The firmness went soft and the cushions moved. Sold it 3 weeks ago and just using a miss match of chairs- wing chairs, leather recliners, mid-century, a settee, 2 occasional chairs. Quite the mess and I'm ok with that. I hate how much room sofas take up (unless I'm napping), you never see 3 people sit on one anyway so what's the point?
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

I hate how much room sofas take up (unless I'm napping), you never see 3 people sit on one anyway so what's the point?
    When I moved into my present beloved little house, I was determined that I would never have a chesterfield. I have two easy chairs and two occasional chairs that slide under the dining table if needed. I have the four dining chairs as well as extra card table chairs. Add in two comfy counter stools and no one is missing a seat.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    When I moved into my present beloved little house, I was determined that I would never have a chesterfield. I have two easy chairs and two occasional chairs that slide under the dining table if needed. I have the four dining chairs as well as extra card table chairs. Add in two comfy counter stools and no one is missing a seat.

That's what I'm thinking.. When I lived at my aunt's beloved cottage in CT, my aunt had an unusual arrangement of 3 mission armchairs, and one wing chair. No sofas. I will probably go that route... next year.

FloatOn, thanks for the encouragement that a mishmash can work. Your point that you rarely have 3 people stuffing themselves onto a sofa is well-taken.

Thread Information