Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Two Households

Thanks mschrisgo...It's only one flower bed that I will probably end up digging as I have bought poison before and just cannot put the sprayer on it. My husband is less leery, but even he debates it.

The best part of 2 homes? Achieving NO mortgage! Our goal was age 50 and we beat it by more than a year. AND our 2018 expense tracking analysis of $1200/month costs all-in: insurance, taxes, utilities which includes our cell phones/Dish/internet cable/power/gas/snow removal and maintenance. We keep an 18m large emergency fund-paid for a new AC/Furnace last year and 15y ago so that is not included. We are saving monthly right now for new flooring this fall and exterior paint. No intention of pulling emergency fund $ for these-they are want to do not yet disgusting/mandatory. We'll do it when the $ is sitting in our checking account.

There is such freedom and relaxation in having our 2nd place.....we thoroughly enjoy our time in the mountains be it a quick 40h weekend or a leisurely week.

I am glad you guys are enjoying your 2 homes. Sounds like too much work to me) I do enjoy reading about them.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    I am glad you guys are enjoying your 2 homes. Sounds like too much work to me) I do enjoy reading about them.
    Yes, also deriving vicarious enjoyment here, but finding one is enough to keep up with for me personally.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    We are very low maintenance. We are minimalist at the cabin-very little on the floor-wall mount table iDH made is in the tiny hallway. When we arrive we spend 15min cleaning-dust/vacuum/sweep floors. Poof. All done Landscape? none. Snow removal is the one thing we pay to have done for us- one cannot arrive at 8PM on Friday night and remove 3 feet of snow.

Our primary home isn't high maintenance IMO either. The garden is work because I choose to garden instead of the 20 minute/week lawnmowing we used to do.

I'm curious what you do for maintenance on a regular or annual basis that it is so much work in your opinion? We've owned homes since 1983 and have never considered it a lot of work.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    Catherine, is there anyone from your master gardener class you could ask to come in once a week and keep up with the garden? I would pay for a certain number of hours, and they would know what to do.

I would look into that for my peace of mind, as I would not want to depend on BIL to do this.

It's really hard to have two places, in some ways, even when you have someone staying there.
    Good suggestion, Tybee. I did think about that. Because I made such great progress with the set-up, and my perennials aren't THAT much work, I'm going to just let it be for now. I will probably have to go to the NY metro area once a month for various projects so that will give me a chance to check in.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

When we retired and downsized our yard was totally dead. Since we live in the high desert with a water shortage we put in astro-turf. We have plants on automatic watering. Still flower beds have to be weeded, our 2 patios swept and washed, all the furniture washed down after winter. Our trees and our neighbor trees drop flowers etc like crazy so we are always sweeping the patios and cleaning off the furniture. Then the flowers get stuck to the astro-turf so twice a year I use a leaf blower to blow up the debris while my husband rakes it until it is gone. So yes our maintenance free yard is still work. However, when we take our 6 week trip this summer we can just lock up and go with no worries. If you have 2 homes you have to buy stuff for both homes and clean both of them. If I want to go on vacation I will either take the RV which cleans up quick and stay in a motel. However, I love hearing about other's stories. Just glad it is not me)

Around here, lots of folks are doing wall to wall rocks. Makes me sad...but I guess you don't have to think too much about keeping it up. Roundup is the drug of choice.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    Roundup is the drug of choice.
    Hate it. And DH and I always fight about it. I prefer weed-wacking my brick patio, and I have grown fond of the moss that is growing between the bricks. However. since BIL is very, very unlikely to weed-whack the patio this summer, I relented and very grudgingly consented to Round-Up on the patio. As long as we actually don't have to BUY it and put more pennies in Monsanto's coffers. We have some left in the garage, so we'll use that.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

PT: lots of people here use all rocks too which I hate. Plus the dogs need to be able to run and play in our yard. If you buy good quality astro-turf it is expensive but then you never need to water or mow.

Thread Information