Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Two Households

Catherine, the walls in that room are painted, right? But the trim is natural, and darker? Am I seeing the picture right? What color are the walls, and do you like that with the couch or were you painting the walls to go with the couch?

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    Catherine, the walls in that room are painted, right? But the trim is natural, and darker? Am I seeing the picture right? What color are the walls, and do you like that with the couch or were you painting the walls to go with the couch?
    Thanks, everybody!

Rosa, your reaction was one of the reasons I'm nervous. I, too, am a subdued type of person (IRL as well as in my decorating style). My living room is all neutrals--white, beige, natural woods, with a touch of sage green. OTOH, my DH is a very outgoing, gregarious person, and he likes to make a statement IRL.. and I think that's why his excitement over this sofa was so contagious.

But I am going for happy look. I have a collection of Stephen Huneck dog prints that I've never framed or hung, so they'll be perfect on the VT walls, and the colors will go with the sofa.

Tybee, the woods in the home are pine (floor and open kitchen shelving), and some type of wood they the previous owner stained a dark espresso color (window trim & shelves). Then the doors and moldings are your regular construction-grade medium shade wood, closer to the pine than the dark window trim.

Here's the kitchen.

IMG_0231.jpg

IL, agree with you. I really like the idea of the cream from the sofa background. Rather than red, though, I was thinking of the accent wall being something like this:

https://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/...?color=2138-40

But I love the idea of the blue accents--pillows, canisters on shelving, etc. I think that would look nice.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

If the couch is bold use neutrals on the walls. I have neutral furniture but have an accent wall or 2 walls for color.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    I think you could make it work, depending on paint colors, etc. If not, it would be easy to slipcover.
    You know, I'm already thinking that solid color throw pillows and a knit throw would soften the impact. In fact, it's weird, but I recently found an afghan my mother knit for me in the 70s. It's in good shape except it needs a slight repair in one of the seams. But it's the same green color that's in the sofa, and it would be awesome to cuddle on that sofa wrapped up in my mother's handiwork.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

That old afghan is just a reassurance that this bright sofa if the right choice! My friend who likes subdued colors just bought a bright chair for her bedroom and is thrilled with it.

I love your cottage, Catherine. And that's a neat idea about going with the solid throw and pillows. It's the flip of what I would have done, and would achieve a similar result.
    My sister has had a dark brown couch for years and recently got a coral & white patterned chair with ottoman for companions. I never would have envisioned the two being compatible, but the chair complements the couch and the room marvelously. I'll see if I can find a picture.
    I'll be excited to see how it all comes together in your cottage. Please do keep us looped in

20638582_10159225576900381_1134871262242924740_n.jpg

OK, this photo includes a family friend who might not love being on the forum, but I won't tell if you won't tell. This is sister's new condo/loft, and this friend actually has a great eye and helped arrange her furnishings in a much better way than we ever would have envisioned.

I don't know if I am considered one of the "artists" or not, but I LOVE the couch And all the the things you mentioned to go with it. I think you are sort of second-guessing yourself because this is outside of your norm (up until now) but it sounds very right. And hey, if you get tired of it, you can easily cover it, even just for a season or so.

I like the print, but the sofa doesn't look comfy without arms. I'm thinking cottage = naps with blankets. Without an arm on the sofa, how will you prop up your pillows?

I love the fabric. I don't know if I could live with it full time, but for a vacation/weekend place, I think it's perfect! It made me smile.

Thread Information