Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Two Households

Also, little Hermann has a gym, a small room in the community center with exercise equipment. Monthly fee ranges feom $22 to $30, typical gym costs. It am a unclear about where this gym is, but I think it is in a building on the highway that is too far to walk safely, no sidewalks.

But still, gym! In a tiny town! I continually compare Hermann pop. 2,400 to the tiny town of my youth pop. 2,500. Not even remotely the same in services and activities. The latter doesnt even have a grocery store, just one of those hideous Get Gas ‘n Go places.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Also, little Hermann has a gym, a small room in the community center with exercise equipment. Monthly fee ranges feom $22 to $30, typical gym costs. It am a unclear about where this gym is, but I think it is in a building on the highway that is too far to walk safely, no sidewalks.

But still, gym! In a tiny town! I continually compare Hermann pop. 2,400 to the tiny town of my youth pop. 2,500. Not even remotely the same in services and activities. The latter doesnt even have a grocery store, just one of those hideous Get Gas ‘n Go places.
    Should we all retire to Hermann? I'll admit that the vineyards appeal to me more than the gym, and real estate prices are more than reasonable by Boston standards!

I love small town living! Maybe we all should retire there. That might increase the pop. to 2430 or more!

And we could take over the gym.

OK. Reality is sinking in for me with this two households thing. DH will be going up in a week (receive furniture delivery--the big bright couch/bed I bought). I'm going up April 26 to help my son prepare for my DIL's co-ed baby shower. May 12th is our summer move-in date.

I'm surprisingly experiencing a lot of mixed emotions. Even though we haven't had to sell our primary residence (yet), I'm feeling loss along with the tremendous excitement as well as anticipation over a whole different lifestyle.

DH is pining over the fact that we can't afford a lot of things this year, but his list of things he thinks we "need" is a lot longer than mine. I just want to get up there with as few things as possible and work from there. He, on the other hand, has a long list of things that either need to be done or things that he thinks "need" to be bought. I've told him where we stand money-wise and he understands, but he likes to give me a hard time anyway. He's still like a kid with a long list to Santa. I don't want to be Santa. I have to admit that I'm concerned about our ability to carry two homes.

I know people move all the time, and I fully embraced this move, but now that it's becoming reality all of a sudden my NJ forsythia is so much more beautiful; my social life with my fellow Master Gardener interns is so fulfilling; my living room is so peaceful and "me"; and even the paint colors on my walls are wrapping around me whispering, "you love us, don't. you?"

Yes, I can't wait for the Vermont adventure, but boy, it's hard to break out of 33 years of habit and routine in a place you used to call home.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Can you just bring stuff from home instead of buying it? I would start selling things in your big house that you won't be taking with you because this is getting to be the perfect time of year. You can use CL or have some moving sales. Too bad I don't live by you because I have helped many do this and love it. When we knew we were going to downsize I sold all the furniture I knew we would not be taking.

Wow, you are experiencing homesickness/nostalgia early on. I still pine for my old house but not as much as a year ago. I think "moving gets harder the older you get" has a lot of truth to it as it takes many years to make all those connections that bring familiarity. I wish we had brought some practical stuff from our TX house as having to go out and buy new has been a real pain.

It is much harder to move to a new town then to move within your town. I have gotten attached to a few of the houses we have owned but we have moved a lot so never was in 1 place for 30 years.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    Wow, you are experiencing homesickness/nostalgia early on. I still pine for my old house but not as much as a year ago. I think "moving gets harder the older you get" has a lot of truth to it as it takes many years to make all those connections that bring familiarity. I wish we had brought some practical stuff from our TX house as having to go out and buy new has been a real pain.
    I know--I am getting "pre-nostalgia." But I see the writing on the wall. The smartest thing I can do is make sure I kind of like it up there and then pack up and move out of NJ asap.

Can you just bring stuff from home instead of buying it?
    Yes, we are planning on doing some of that, but we probably should have done more. DH doesn't want to dismantle this house, but we are bringing stuff we don't really need here. But we still need some stuff.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

We need a small coffee table by the upholstered chairs in our living room in Hermann. How does one sip the local wines by the fire without a table to set wine glass on?

I am trying desperately to keep the furniturer there 1) minimal in quantity 2) throwaway. So, I pulled a small shelf thingie out of the alley, not perfect, but will do for one chair. Then, today, I went to our basement and found another small table to place by the other chair. This problem now solved.

I am having fits in my bedroom because I have only one chest of drawers, a lingerie chest (nice, not theowaway) and the horrible closets have no shelves or drawers. All of my clothes there are roll up types, casual pants and tops. We cant spend any money on rebuilding this closet until we get a renovation plan in place. So I guess i will be hanging t shirts and pants on hangers. I dont like that but will have to do it.

Thread Information