Page 9 of 24 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Two Households

Since the background of the sofa fabric is white, a wall color deeper than cream might work better.

I am always looking for a deeper cream and find those colors entrancing but difficult to pin down--I once painted a room with something close to a color called Sugared Almond
    and liked it a lot.
    Do you have a sample of the sofa fabric to take to paint stores if you want to go the cream or deeper route?

For some reason not liking the sagey green as background with that sofa, although I know it is in there. Like the blues and reds and creams.

Okay, having relooked at the pictures you linked, the first one in the entry way with the blue walls and white trim really strikes me. My vote is that, with your couch providing the popping accent. Blue and white also classic for a beach cottage.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    Okay, having relooked at the pictures you linked, the first one in the entry way with the blue walls and white trim really strikes me. My vote is that, with your couch providing the popping accent. Blue and white also classic for a beach cottage.
    Thanks! Yeah, I've always liked blue and white in decorating, but never used it myself (actually, now that I think about it, I did paint an accent wall almost that same deep blue in the first house we owned).

I like sage green, and I like sea foam green, but the problem is, the green in the couch is actually more of an olive green. So if I were to paint the walls a complementary green neutral, I'd be tempted to do something with more yellow undertones, like wasabi.

But I think I'll try the blue and white.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

It seems to me that in a small house oriented to the water, it would be good to bring some of the outside colors in. It will feel bigger and more integrated. I would go with a blue or sand color for walls.

I will be the first to say that my color schemes probably err on the side of boring, but I do dearly love blue and white. Blue and white with that sofa though, now that could really be the best of both worlds. Serene backdrop of blue and white with the POP of that bright and cheerful bouquet of a sofa!

IL re: closets. We have those inexpensive metal "Metro" shelving units in our closets. Works great, they come in all sizes.

Paint palettes: my house is all cream/white inside, which I love. I recently developed a desire for lots of blue in my bedroom, but I'm just using it for the bedcover (a flannel sheet - actually looks quite nice) and in the artwork, and I'm think maybe curtains. I am completely over changing wall colors.

We're painting the (to me) depressing blue-grey exterior white. Plain old classic white.

Quote Originally Posted by Gardenarian View Post
    IL re: closets. We have those inexpensive metal "Metro" shelving units in our closets. Works great, they come in all sizes.

Paint palettes: my house is all cream/white inside, which I love. I recently developed a desire for lots of blue in my bedroom, but I'm just using it for the bedcover (a flannel sheet - actually looks quite nice) and in the artwork, and I'm think maybe curtains. I am completely over changing wall colors.

We're painting the (to me) depressing blue-grey exterior white. Plain old classic white.
    We ended up buying one of those $10 hanging shelf units made of fabric. That will do me for a while.

So here's another "two household" problem I'm facing.

We are moving to VT in 2 days. My gardens are a mess. A lot of perennials are coming up, which will help because they don't need much maintenance, but on the whole, I am very worried that the yard is going to look very ramshackle. We have charged my BIL with maintaining the lawn because he is living there for a very reasonable rent, but how do we make him accountable? When he was living next door, the weeds between his pavers were nearly as tall as he is.

Plus he doesn't know the first thing about gardens. I could ask him to deadhead my balloon flowers, but he'll probably roll his eyes and go about his business, which is sitting at the fire pit, using fire starter as logs because he's too lazy to actually build a real fire, listening to music outside (loudly) and drinking beer and vodka.

1st world problems, I know. But I am not about to hire a landscaper when I have an able bodied person living here. Still, my yard used to be so pretty, and this year there will be no cheerful pots of zinnias and petunias, no burgeoning vegetables, no running water through my deer chaser.

You guys will be wondering why I decided to buy this second house with all my anxious posts about leaving New Jersey behind, but it's all part of the process I guess.

And I guess I just would love advice on how to avoid being a bad neighbor in absentia. My yard is highly visible to anyone who walks through the park.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Well, ya know, if BIL wont do the work and you wont hire the work done, I got nuttin.
    You could hire someone to come in 1x every month or every two weeks to at least control it. Say, have them give you 4 hours of work and whatever they can get done is what they can get done.

Also, have BIL or whoever concentrate on the parts of the yard closest to public areas so that if there are high weeds, they are behind the house where neighbors dont have to look at them.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 5-10-18 at 12:02am.

Thread Information