Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Could this be??

Could this be??

I know on my other post we were talking about how "Facebook is watching us". But I had a very disconcerting thing happen today.
    My dog is on a joint supplement. I called the vet's office to see if I could increase the dosage. I named the product several times. I don't remember ever
    looking this product up online or talking about it on facebook.........just when I talked with the vet's office.

Well, just a little bit later, the product showed up in the middle of my various searches for other things.

Are our phone calls listened to too, and products suggested from that?
    I would be sooooooooo pissed if this is so.

Maybe I did type this somewhere online, but I sure don't remember doing it.

I think I may have mentioned the scary incident I experienced a year or so ago.

I was out for ~20 hours fighting a local wildland fire. When I came home, I found that one of the local newspapers had covered the fire, and that there was a photo with the article that had my face in it, unidentified and untagged at the moment I returned home.

Yet, my Facebook feed immediately offered up ads for some really useful wildland firefighting gear, *before* I had even read the story myself on any of my computers/devices. Which is a bit frightening if you think about the implications. I do not routinely search the Internet for wildland gear, and had not done so for months and months before this happened.

Odd.

I had this same thing happen after writing an email about my parents' estate planning or lack thereof

Williamsmith
    Nice to know I’m not the only one. As the song goes, “Even paranoids have enemies too.”

Yahoo is sending me ads for incontinence products for women. Maybe it is because Yahoo has the maker of Depends as an advertiser, and Yahoo has promised to reach a certain number of affluent people over-65 with coupon offers for Depends. Actually I don't mind receiving the ads. I'm a guy, and I can't imagine ever wanting to wear them, or even try them on with a friend. The models are attractive women (I would say), showing a great sense of style, to say nothing of their bare arms and legs. And I am learning! Before I saw the ads, I had no knowledge that Silhouette Depends are in a "smooth, sleek, feminine design".

Now if I am at a social gathering, and the topic comes up, and somebody asks whether I knew Silhouette Depends now come in a smooth, sleek feminine design, I can say "Ya, I hert dat!"

We all know Facebook has facial recognition. Well apparently they also have "brand" recognition. Immediately after a full body pic of me posted, I began seeing ads for the same shoes in a different color. (See other thread). And, I bought them. Sigh, I guess that's feeding the demon.

I knew there was a reason I taped over the front-facing camera on all my devices...

Someone told me that if the mic on your phone is on it can pick up what is being said and this results in ads and articles that are similar. I have experienced this once and it was a bit disconcerting. It's those pesky emails about all the young Russian girls who want to meet me that I wonder about. How did this get started????
    "Like a bird on the wire, like a drunk in the midnight choir, I have tried in my way to be free." Leonard Cohen

About the only thing I'm doing this year on facebooks is every day when the memories pop up....I delete them.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

I'ved taped over my cameras on computers and laptops for years now. Nice to know my gut instinct was correct for once!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Thread Information