Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Water water everywhere

We've had a filter on the kitchen sink since ... well, since I moved in about 15 years ago. We started with a PUR but when that one failed after "not long enough" I switched to a DuPont filter, which has the advantage of twice the capacity (so fewer spent filter cartridges live in a landfill forever). We don't have major water problems here in the city, but I prefer the taste of the filtered water and I find (through anecdotal experience) that water-heating appliances (coffeemaker, pots, etc.) seem to show less damage from the hard water we have here.

That hard water, btw, has a bonus effect: many of the pipes leading into the older houses here are made of lead. They are being replaced, slowly. But they've discovered that, over the years, the calcium in the water has lined the pipes fully, sealing away any contact with the lead. Lead levels in tests here do not show dangerous levels of the metal.

Quote Originally Posted by catherine
    I never considered buying water to cook with. I just assumed that boiling water would purify most of the things I'd be concerned about. Probably not lead, but I don't have that particular concern.

Just as aside--not a criticism of you, Yppej, but it really bugs me that in this first world country, where municipal water is so cheap and water supply has never been called into question, we are forced to buy "premium" water. What happens when that runs out? Or will bottlers be able to control the market the same way DeBeers controls diamonds?
    Boiling water takes care of bugs like e. coli. But boiling water does not remedy a sulfur smell or a very high iron content in the water. People filter water for different reasons; sometimes the initial expense of filtering water for an entire house is too high so bottled water is used instead.

I also will note that I often will choose bottled water when given a choice of drinks. At catered events, I don't want to drink pop or other sugary drinks, but there's almost always bottled water available. At some chain quick-service restaurants they'll give you a (tiny) cup to fill at the pop dispenser, but many "indies" either don't have that kind of dispenser or don't offer tap water. When I work volunteer events, they provide bottled water, not a water tap for my own container (which I then would have to keep track of). I don't use bottled water at home unless we've got some left over from some outside event. It would be nice if water taps were provided readily, but that's not the case in so many situations.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

We use a Brita pitcher.

I have been drinking well water for most of my adult life, with a few years drinking city waters unfiltered.
    I am very happy drinking well water.
    I did get a new house we were looking at to buy water tested and rejected the house because it had uranium at 7 times the EPA limit. We are looking at another house now and it is in the town where they bottle the spring water as Poland Spring water, so am not worried about the quality of that one, although we will get it tested to be safe.

Big fan of getting your water tested, costs 165 dollars and you get lots of useful info. But I never tested city water, for obvious reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveinMN View Post

Boiling water takes care of bugs like e. coli. But boiling water does not remedy a sulfur smell or a very high iron content in the water. People filter water for different reasons; sometimes the initial expense of filtering water for an entire house is too high so bottled water is used instead.

I also will note that I often will choose bottled water when given a choice of drinks. At catered events, I don't want to drink pop or other sugary drinks, but there's almost always bottled water available. At some chain quick-service restaurants they'll give you a (tiny) cup to fill at the pop dispenser, but many "indies" either don't have that kind of dispenser or don't offer tap water. When I work volunteer events, they provide bottled water, not a water tap for my own container (which I then would have to keep track of). I don't use bottled water at home unless we've got some left over from some outside event. It would be nice if water taps were provided readily, but that's not the case in so many situations.
    Yeah, I'm not the Plastic Police... I drink out of bottles on occasion. I brought two big jugs of water to Vermont since our plumbing is still filled with antifreeze (Hmm..I wonder how ecologically sound THAT is?). But when it comes to drinking out of plastic bottles, one has to be reasonable--we're all going to do it in situations such as the ones you mention, Steve. I had very hard water up in upstate NY, but to be honest, I never once bought bottled water. It wasn't done then. We drank it out of the tap.

So, this is one of those things where you think, well, what did we do 20-30 years ago? We had the ubiquitous water fountain, for one thing. We drank out of garden hoses. Now, people go "eeewww--chemicals from the city water supply! Germs from the last guy who gulped here!"

I can see how the taste out of the tap is sometimes chemical-tasting, but I truly get annoyed by people like my BIL who says, "Oh, I hate Evian. I like the taste of Dasani." I guess I don't have a discerning palate, but what I like the taste of is public water that's cheap, accessible, and meets minimum standards for safety.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Williamsmith

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Yeah, I'm not the Plastic Police... I drink out of bottles on occasion. I brought two big jugs of water to Vermont since our plumbing is still filled with antifreeze (Hmm..I wonder how ecologically sound THAT is?). But when it comes to drinking out of plastic bottles, one has to be reasonable--we're all going to do it in situations such as the ones you mention, Steve. I had very hard water up in upstate NY, but to be honest, I never once bought bottled water. It wasn't done then. We drank it out of the tap.

So, this is one of those things where you think, well, what did we do 20-30 years ago? We had the ubiquitous water fountain, for one thing. We drank out of garden hoses. Now, people go "eeewww--chemicals from the city water supply! Germs from the last guy who gulped here!"

I can see how the taste out of the tap is sometimes chemical-tasting, but I truly get annoyed by people like my BIL who says, "Oh, I hate Evian. I like the taste of Dasani." I guess I don't have a discerning palate, but what I like the taste of is public water that's cheap, accessible, and meets minimum standards for safety.
    You haven’t had great bottled water until you tasted “FIJI”! Just sayin.

Yppej
    My city water tastes nasty and is fluoridated. I have heard Fiji is the best but never bought it due to cost. I found a company called Green Sheep Water in Chicago that sells water in aluminum cans, convenient if you are on the go, but only in 14 states and mine is not one of them.

Ok, feel free to crucify me...I buy the flats of water at a warehouse store. My dh drinks two or three a day, minimum. He's in construction and we're in Florida. He often can't source drinking water in a jobsite. I've tried giving him reusable bottles but he can't or won't keep track of them.

I carry a stainless steel cup with me everywhere. Filled with ice in the morning, and refilled through the day from the spigots At work and I'm good to go!

At home, we filter through the refrigerator for drinking but cooking is done out of the tap with municipal water. My good friend is the license holder for the water system here and he says it's very good at my house. City / county water could have issues at the end of a run if demand is not great enough and stagnation occurs. There's a great deal of water "blown off" for this reason - plans called for development in the future, so super large lines were run, then two or three houses went in and the water doesn't move through fast enough. They'll open the hydrants here about every other week in designated spots to purge their lines.

The only time I drink bottled water is when out diving. The quarry doesn’t have any potable water. On the dive boat, you might go through 4-5 bottles. Being very well hydrated is necessary to help prevent the bends.

I’ve just solved the problem with water at the quarry. Got one of those big insulated cooler jugs. Think mine is 2 gallons. Will fill it with ice and water at home and I’ll fill my reusable cup.

Yppej
    I found a reusable water bottle at home of a different, sturdier plastic I am using until I get to the store to buy an aluminum one.

I use a reusable water bottle, always have one with me. I tend to lose them now and then, but still have each one about 2 years. I love nalgene, wide mouth. I can even pop in a mixer ball and protein powder with almond milk as long as I wash it well. I am not sure about other places or work environments but pretty much everyone I work with has a reusable bottle with them all the time, meetings, running programs, etc. At the beginning of the year I bought a Brita pitcher for our fridge at work so my staff would be encouraged to use their water bottles and stay hydrated, I had an adult dehydrate one summer camp so I push water for kids and adults.

When my son started at a public high school (building about 100 years old) here in the city he didn't understand why everyone had a water bottle, and then he tried the fountain. He had a water bottle the next day. I just went to a training class there and they now have the quick fill stations for water bottles and must have better tasting water now.

Thread Information