Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Water water everywhere

Yppej

Water water everywhere

And not a good drop to drink.

Concerned about lead given my old house and old municipal water supply, distrustful of the government post-Flint, and hating the taste of tap water I have been drinking bottled water. Now today's news reports frequent small pieces of plastic found in bottled water.

So I am thinking maybe I should get a filter to attach to the sink. Thoughts? Recommendations?

Williamsmith
    You can buy it in the gallon jugs. It’s a different kind of plastic container than the bottles, and it’s cheaper. Or you can have a sample of your water tested. With your history I would pay extra to have it tested for lead. Then decide what water filtration system you need.

Yppej
    I do buy the gallons for cooking. So maybe I need convenience containers not made of plastic to take it places.

I bought a small distiller and it works great. If my water were really bad (potentially toxic), I'd probably buy a bigger one..........but that doesn't have any minerals in it, but you can add them, or just get them from food.
    You could always buy a reverse osmosis set-up.

Yppej
    I never thought of distilling water. It looks like it would up my electric bill to do it myself, but my supermarket does sell distilled water by the gallon. Thankd for both your input.

Williamsmith
    If you haven’t read this thread...check it out. Some stuff about water in it.

http://www.simplelivingforum.net/sho...=Water+testing

I like the filter attached to the sink option. Eliminates plastic bottles altogether. As humble as my little house in VT is, the previous owners installed a Westinghouse filtration system under the sink so I'll let you know how it is.

I never considered buying water to cook with. I just assumed that boiling water would purify most of the things I'd be concerned about. Probably not lead, but I don't have that particular concern.

Just as aside--not a criticism of you, Yppej, but it really bugs me that in this first world country, where municipal water is so cheap and water supply has never been called into question, we are forced to buy "premium" water. What happens when that runs out? Or will bottlers be able to control the market the same way DeBeers controls diamonds?

Is Cape Town the canary in the mine for what's going to happen to the rest of the world?
    https://news.nationalgeographic.com/...-other-cities/
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Williamsmith
    I used to buy bottled water out of convenience. I got used to just reaching in the frig and grabbing a 500 ml bottle of water as I ran out the door. I certainly wasn’t out of necessity. I had a functioning well 75 ft deep that never ran out of water but having the well tested was something I put off out of laziness. My budget permitted the convenience of bottles.

Then I moved to a location that was supplied by a municiple system fed by three deep wells. I kept up the bottle consumption until just recently. I decided to have my tap water tested at a University Lab. The water tested perfectly for consumption so I began drinking it and using it for cooking. I do however, filter my drinking water with a PUR carbon filtration cartridge. I am fortunate to have “free” drinking water. No more lugging cases of bottled water.

I always felt like a consumer nitwit for buying into that and suspected it was a scam. My first indication was when a local bottling company began selling bottled water under the name of some kind of healthy sounding Springs. I knew the water was coming from their boro supply straight out of their taps and their was a Superfund site for hazardous materials right next to the bottling plant. The local chemical factory had been burying their hazardous waste byproducts for years and it polluted the water table.

When you read read the source for the cheaper bottled water......it makes you cringe.

Is there a reliable faucet filter that removes really bad stuff? I never got one, since our main problem here is with high fluoride, and no faucet filter removes that. Reverse osmosis does, I think........but I didn't feel like messing with that....and having to change those huge filters (3?) fairly often and it wastes a lot of water in the process.

We had a big water test done recently, and besides the fluoride being high, so is coliform.........which means soil is getting in. fortunately, no e-coli. We'll chlorinate the well again, but it doesn't help with the high fluoride. I've always wondered if that's why I have so many joint problems (as have our pets).
    I think the country is headed towards a big clean water problem. That would be horrible.

I still prefer well water to city water though. I don't trust city water. Ick.

Williamsmith
    Quote Originally Posted by CathyA View Post
    Is there a reliable faucet filter that removes really bad stuff? I never got one, since our main problem here is with high fluoride, and no faucet filter removes that. Reverse osmosis does, I think........but I didn't feel like messing with that....and having to change those huge filters (3?) fairly often and it wastes a lot of water in the process.

We had a big water test done recently, and besides the fluoride being high, so is coliform.........which means soil is getting in. fortunately, no e-coli. We'll chlorinate the well again, but it doesn't help with the high fluoride. I've always wondered if that's why I have so many joint problems (as have our pets).
    I think the country is headed towards a big clean water problem. That would be horrible.

I still prefer well water to city water though. I don't trust city water. Ick.
    I was ignorant of naturally occurring fluoride in well water. A nearby city had a nasty debate about adding fluoride to the water. They eventually opted to do it even though it was going to add cost to furnishing water. I didn’t know that a higher than therapeutic level of fluoride is considered a contaminant and would cause bone structure issues, calcification and joint maladies. I’d be installing a filtration system , reverse osmosis and getting rid of it if I drank the water.

Thread Information