Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What makes you unique?

My fingerprint.

I love George W. Bush. Surely that counts. ;-)

My smile is unique, too. I kind of have fangs like a vampire. I hated it growing up; I am pale, too, and kids were mean. But now that I am grown, I kind of like it. The dentist always offers to file them down for me, and I say, "No, thanks!" It is part of what makes me....me.

There are many widely known television shows that I have NEVER seen, (other than a minute while channel surfing). Oprah Winfrey, Saturday Night Live and all those medical dramas in the 90s.

Hmmm. Being an identical twin, obviously I'm not physically unique. So I'll go with the fact that I don't own a cell phone.

I dunno if these make me truly unique, but these are the things that make me the odd man out often.
    I don't like the Beatles.
    Oatmeal, all oatmeal, even steel cut oatmeal with nuts, leaves me ravenously hungry by 10AM. Which is a shame because I like oatmeal.
    Formerly known as Blithe Morning II

Quote Originally Posted by Anne Lee View Post
    OMG! That's CAN'T be true!

That's OK, Anne, Lee, I still love you anyway....
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Anne Lee View Post
    Oh, my wife is with you here - she can't stand any/all of them/their music/etc.
    I think they were lacking with their lyrics -- when in doubt, just repeat that line
    over and over and over again!

Just thought of a couple more -- I have been selling motorcycles for 30+ years and don't have a motorcycle endorsement! Never have rode, just no interest in driving down the highway with nothing around me. Some people love that feeling, just never appealed to me. I had a "river guide" customer who just couldn't believe I didn't ride. I said, "this has always been work", so I asked him, "on your weekends do you "go fishing?" (he doesn't) He said "ahh I get your point!"

Being vegetarian -- I have no one in my circle of friends/family that are vegetarian. Most think I am crazy, but that is okay!

Camping -- I love the outdoors, hiking, etc. But camping just doesn't appeal to me, hauling all that stuff out, bringing back all dirty, having to clean it all up, store it, etc. I have lots of friends that go camping every chance they can...I just say, "I work hard so we are not homeless, why take my vacation time and pretend that we are?"
    Last edited by Greg44; 5-13-11 at 9:04pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg44 View Post
    Camping -- I love the outdoors, hiking, etc. But camping just doesn't appeal to me, hauling all that stuff out, bringing back all dirty, having to clean it all up, store it, etc. I have lots of friends that go camping every chance the can...I just say, "I work hard so we are not homeless, why take my vacation time and pretend that we are!!"
    This is hiliarious and I can totally relate to everything you said. And I was raised in a hard core camping family (we went on a 2-week hiking trip with burros as pack animals when I was 5; my 75-y-o aunt still leads extended backpacking trips into the Sierras and Utah and Alaska). So, I am definitely an anomly among my relations in regards to my non-love of camping.

I can't think of anything that makes me truly unique. I have a lot of traits and qualities that make me different from most of my friends, coworkers, acquaintances, and relations (heck, just being female and not wanting children is a biggie). So, I am often the odd one out in my real life (which is totally fine), but I have found lots of compatriots online.

Being a living kidney donor puts me in a pretty small club. A greyhound owner is another relatively small group. Getting married at 21 and still being happily married 15 years later is also somewhat special, and actually unique among my family, including my 7 parents and 8 siblings.

Kara

Anne Lee: I am with you on the Beatles! But DH turned me into a DeadHead about 8 years ago. I remember trying on a shirt at Talbot's several years ago, and thinking "this will go well under my suits at work, but will be great for the Ozzy/Rob Zombie concert with jeans!" I realized at the time that there probably weren't too many women at Talbot's looking to multipurpose their wardrobes in quite that same way.
    Gregg: I am so with you on the camping thing. It sounds like PUNISHMENT. I want my bed and my indoor plumbing and my percolator. DH has gone to some concert camping weekends, and has said "You should come, really, you'll have a great time." And I said, "No, I'm fairly certain I would make us both miserable. Have a good time, and leave me something to eat while you're gone." He did, and we were both happy
    It's funny that discussing our "uniqueness" just shows some of our commonalities. No TV, soft drinks, cell phone, or microwave for me. The TV thing often sets me apart from other humans. I get maybe an hour of second hand TV a year. And I would rather watch paint dry than watch a sporting event, and I make no bones about it.

Thread Information