Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Double Sinks--Nice-to-have, or Need-to-have?

We've lived in apartments that had granite counters and they were fine. But I wasn't in love with it. Currently we have some sort of solid surface counters, Corian maybe? They look good. Are easy to keep clean, and have been impervious to any damage. A bigger issue to me, in both bathroom and kitchen is that I want undermount sinks. So much easier to keep the counter clean that way since there's no edge to catch crumbs as I wipe into the sink.

I thought this thread was about double sinks in the kitchen and for me, that is practically a necessesity. Our weekend house has double sinks even tho the kitchen is tiny and old.

but a big hell NO to two sinks in one bathroom. We do have them in our big bathroom and only because we thought we had to have them. Never been used two at the same time.

I have said this before, but apparently I am weak in the girl gene because I do not understand what females do with a sink for hours on end in a bathroom. How long does it take to brush teeth and wash your face?

I think that they are “primping” ( such a silly word) for all that time which really just requires a mirror. Plumbing not necessary to put on makeup and style hair and etc. Or so I think.

This weekend I discovered that I bought a house without a bathtub. I really had not paid attention to the bathroom other than the fact that it was quite small. Well, it has only a shower, a kind of long one. And I love that, no problem for me.

I assume the desire people have for two sinks in the kitchen is for doing dishes? I've never lived anywhere with a double sink in the kitchen and have never thought I needed one. I like having one bigger sink. But when I actually wash dishes by hand I use a brush that dispenses soap and only need a sink to hold the dirty dishes and give me a place to rinse them once clean. But dish washing style is highly personalized so I suppose this is just a matter of personal preference.

Bathtubs are another personal preference. If SO and I ever build a house for ourselves it will not have one. Neither of us sees the point. Personally I always found it kind of gross when, as a kid, I had to sit in the dirty water that I was cleaning myself in. (Once I got old enough to have a little agency I insisted on washing my hair before we filled the tub so that at least all the shampoo yuck would go down the drain first.) Currently our second bathroom has one but the faucet in it has never been turned on. The cats' litterbox is in it which is great for containing litter when they do the covering their business thing but if we build a house I'm sure we can come up with a better, more efficient alternative for the litterbox.

Oh we put in a big ass jacuzzi type tub 30 years ago because that was the thing to do then. But I jave never used it. Ours also contains cat litter boxes.

We are putting a large single bowl sink in our kitchen. I have never had one before so the jury is still out but looking forward to trying it out. Seems to be love or hate with these kind of things.

Actually, if you have two sinks in the bathroom, make sure you run water in the other one on occasion. You don't want the trap to dry out/evaporate and allow sewer gas to get back into the house.
    I see it basically as a marketing thing, rather then a need thing. I could think it might make sense in NY or some rat race place where space is expensive, when your sharing a bathroom and work the same schedule.

I've never had dual bathroom sinks, so don't see the need. I've sent somone to a kitchen sink if the bathroom was in use. In this situation, dual sinks is not the answer .

We remodeled our NC home and only put in a shower. We liked it so much we did the same here. A tub is only missed when bathing babies, or soaking away a fever / illness. I've only missed having a tub two or three times in about six years. When you consider the daily normal use, that's very marginal.

Personal dishwashing style wants for two bowls in a kitchen sink. What I can say is get the better quality one. We got the Good One in NC, and forgot to ask here...the insulation makes for good warm water retention of temp and less noise from banging around. Worth it!

The only time I ever had double sinks in the bathroom was when I had twins, so it was great for about 5 years, for teethbrushing. I cannot imagine why the tiny house people are doing that, although a tiny house kind of changes your ideas about privacy, I imagine. It seems so foolish to spend a hundred thousand dollars on building a 200 square foot space.

Absolutely love double sink in kitchen and would not want to go back to single!

Never had one in the bathroom. Last thing I want is shared bathroom time with my husband. I've trained him to wipe the sink area because he splashed water every where. He's also good at cleaning up beard trimmings.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Kitchen: I've had 2 sinks my entire life. Wash and rinse. Dirty and clean. Wouldn't occur to me to have the current farm sink craze item installed.

Bathroom: DH spends far more time at the sink than I do. I can be out the door 20" after starting the shower. He needs 45-60 min. He just doesn't move fast and he grooms a beard, mustache and has to shave the rest daily-he grows hair fast fast fast. So it's convenient to not have to bump him out of the way. And yes, we've had 2 bathrooms in both homes we've owned. The cabin has 1 and yes, we just wait for one another to be done. But there we are not getting ready to leave for work either.

It's a moot point for us as we are in our forever homes. 1 for 27y already and the other 14.5y already. We're 56 and staying put

Thread Information