I know that some parts of the US have had serious long-term droughts but when city's water supply runs dry, what happens?

From CBC: http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/water-w...nada-1.4578356

Quotes:

"Planning for Day Zero

After a third consecutive year of drought, Cape Town residents have been asked to reduce their water consumption to 50 litres a day. If reservoir levels drop below 13.5 per cent capacity, the taps will be turned off, forcing people to collect a maximum daily ration of 25 litres from one of 200 sites.

Growing populations and climate change are putting stress on water supplies around the world, including in Canada. According to a recent study, Iqaluit may face a water shortage within five years, owing to a growing population in Nunavut's capital and the rapidly warming climate in the Arctic.

Snowfall in the Rocky Mountains is the source of water for tens of millions of people across North America. "The water from this mountain range flows into the Arctic Ocean and the Pacific and the Atlantic, so what happens here matters for the whole continent," says John Pomeroy, a hydrologist who has been studying the snowpack for nearly 15 years.

Disappearing glaciers

In the past, glaciers provided a reliable source of water that could feed rivers in times of drought, but the warming climate has shrunk icefields in places like Glacier National Park in Montana, which contains the headwaters of the Milk River in Alberta.

Water levels in the Dead Sea, between Jordan and Israel, have been dropping by more than a metre a year. Jordan, already suffering from depleted reservoirs and a lack of rainfall, hopes to replenish its water supply by taking part in project with Israel to desalinate water from the Red Sea and pump it into the Dead Sea."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/stop-st...ater-1.4575994 This article gives an indication of how people and businesses are coming to terms with limited access to water. It is no longer a choice but an essential.

How close are parts of the US to Day Zero for water? I live near the Great Lakes but have experienced serious drought a couple of years ago. I feel a little guilty with having a shower every other day. How often do you shower now?