Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Our world water supply is limited...

Good article, Catherine. I've cut back some, but I'm not taking any five-minute showers while wearing my hair shirt. This area is not likely to dry up any time soon, as the cycle seems to work here.

I live on the Great Lakes. My drinking water comes from Lake Michigan. Lake levels are actually rising. I was not happy when I heard the new FoxConn plant just over the border in WI is going to be pulling something like 7-8 million gallons a DAY from the lake. Somehow they got around the regulations that all the Great Lakes states/provinces (US and Canadian) have to approve this sort of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    I'm sure you know the answer, bae, so your question may be a tad rhetorical, but the water is constantly cycling through the air and ground through evaporation, condensation and precipitation.
    Undeniably true, however the aquifers that have been depleted for years to farm land out here in the arid west and other parts of the world may take centuries to refresh. Sort of a a complication to the evaporation cycle.

I think the climate scientists agree that the west will having increasing periods of drought and the people and farmers are going to have to adapt.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    I live on the Great Lakes. My drinking water comes from Lake Michigan. Lake levels are actually rising. I was not happy when I heard the new FoxConn plant just over the border in WI is going to be pulling something like 7-8 million gallons a DAY from the lake. Somehow they got around the regulations that all the Great Lakes states/provinces (US and Canadian) have to approve this sort of thing.
    I'd be concerned how much of that water FoxConn will be putting back into the lake - and what kind of condition it will be in when they do.

With all our technology, I'm surprised we don't transport water from the flooding areas to the drought area's. I'm sure I'm oversimplifying it but I would think it could be done. During war how do we get water to our troops?

I have neighbors with private wells on my street. They are very proud of their green lawns which they water excessively. Makes me want to go chew them out...but they would tell me it's their right to do so.

I've thought that instead of all those oil pipelines they should be water lines...much more useful and if there's a spill....it's water.

I've never watered my lawn--in fact, I don't have a lawn. I suppose you could say I've earned my showers.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    I have neighbors with private wells on my street. They are very proud of their green lawns which they water excessively. Makes me want to go chew them out...but they would tell me it's their right to do so.
    We have neighbours who do the same thing with their private well and mow every 2-3 days in summer. Last year which was more wet than usual, the sprinklers still were on every morning. One day, I noticed him spraying the lawn with something. When I asked what it was, he was treating an infestation of crane flies. I had never heard of them before in our area so googled 'craneflies'. They apparently thrive in swamp-like conditions. Their lawn was always saturated. Did they turn off the sprinklers then? No.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

I could be wrong but when the old men pass away, so will lawn watering. I think it's a generational thing.

Thread Information