Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Voter manipulation techniques

Williamsmith
    How do you know what is really going on? Everything we are told about the world we live in is like a cartoon. The Chief characters politicians.

I do agree WS

Although still people probably asked to be used in a sense by using Facebook, which doesn't mean the manipulation is good for democracy.

Facebook has been known to run psychological mood manipulation experiments on people and this is not new. Ok here's a link: https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/...n_5550555.html
    See I'm not just talking out of my (tinfoil) hat really! So these are known things, and you know what you get when you lie down with Facebook.

Noone should really expect privacy on Facebook. But isn't that the same thing as people asking to be spied on by the NSA for using the internet? Well yes and no. The internet is a lot more basic to modern life (as are cell phones really) than Facebook. It's easy to choose not to be spied on by Facebook: don't use Facebook. It's a private company you don't have to buy the, I mean BE THE, product. But evading the NSA is a lot harder to do.
    Trees don't grow on money

Williamsmith
    Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    Although still people probably asked to be used in a sense by using Facebook, which doesn't mean the manipulation is good for democracy.

Facebook has been known to run psychological mood manipulation experiments on people and this is not new. Ok here's a link: https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/...n_5550555.html
    See I'm not just talking out of my (tinfoil) hat really! So these are known things, and you know what you get when you lie down with Facebook.

Noone should really expect privacy on Facebook. But isn't that the same thing as people asking to be spied on by the NSA for using the internet? Well yes and no. The internet is a lot more basic to modern life (as are cell phones really) than Facebook. It's easy to choose not to be spied on by Facebook: don't use Facebook. It's a private company you don't have to buy the, I mean BE THE, product. But evading the NSA is a lot harder to do.
    Facebook’s Mission Statement: “Give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together.”

Mark Zuckerberg’s Mission: Make billions of dollars by exploiting people.

To whom much is given, much will be required.

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    This adds confirmation to my concerns about lack of consent to use info.
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/camb...sion-1.4584748

The board of U.K.-based political consulting company Cambridge Analytica says it has suspended CEO Alexander Nix pending a full independent investigation of his actions amid a scandal over the handling of the personal data of millions of Facebook users.

The board cited comments Nix made to an undercover reporter for Britain's Channel 4 News and other allegations of wrongdoing in taking action against Nix on Tuesday.

The board said in an announcement posted on the data mining company's website that the suspension was effective immediately.

Channel 4 News broadcast secretly recorded clips on Tuesday that show Nix saying his data mining firm played a major role in securing Donald Trump's victory in the 2016 U.S. presidential election, including "all the data, all the analytics, all the targeting."

Nix also said Cambridge Analytica used emails set with a "self-destruct timer" during the Trump campaign to make its role more difficult to trace.

He said: "There's no evidence, there's no paper trail, there's nothing."

Can the Democrat's use of data-mining for Obama's election compare? Was it as secretive? Or is it simply a greater development of the technology?
    The ousting of the company President is to appease stockholders and help their plunging stock.

I dont see anything sinister at all in Nix’s braggadoccio that his “ data mining firm played a major role in securing Donald Trump’s victory...” because that is what his company is supposed to do, assist the candidate in winning. Nix spouted other stuff about prostitutes and bribes etc that I dont understand in relation to Facebook data.

I also dont understand exactly what your focus is when you say “ secret.” I heard yakking radio reports for much of the morning and they seemed to report over and over that none of the data we create on social media is private, and certainly not data on Facebook even though users of these social media sites may not realize it. I think it is possible that Cambridge breached FB agreements, but that is between Cambridge and Zuckerberg et al. Cambridge had no agreement with users of social media to keep their data private, that was Zukerberg’s role and FB allows many companies to hold FB data in the databases of those companies. That is hardly protective of personal data. Apparently these companies can use this data on all of us if they use it for educational purposes. This “ educational” requirement is Zuckerberg’s and he could change it any moment. It is Zuckerberg who holds the key to safe data.

At least that is my understanding of the players after reading a few articles today.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 3-21-18 at 9:29am.

Yea, as far as I can tell these users had no agreement with Cambridge Analytica or Cambridge University at all (Cambridge Analytica isn't Cambridge University, although there seems to be some loose affiliation there, but Cambridge Analytica seems to be more affiliated with the Mercer's - Trumps billionaire backers plus Bannon). I'm not sure the users were at all conscious of participating in a social science experiment (well they may have been unwilling doing so). The users were just used by Facebook which honestly is a known bad actor. If I thought I was participating in academic research and it was misused, I admit that is pretty bad, but that FB will use one's date is no surprise.
    Trees don't grow on money

Williamsmith
    Does it seem like what some are saying is that it’s alright for managers of policy and seekers of political power to use the internet....FB and social media sites....to control the opinions and ideologies of enough people by exploitation and deception to maintain or gain political control of an entire government? Once determined what your tendencies are, they can manipulated you by directing content that reinforces the ideologies they want you to have and divert alternate ideologies away from you so that critical thinking is impossible. All this is okay because you choose to participate voluntarily? Is it alright to kill the mouse because he takes the cheese?

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    The difference is that when Democrats do it, they’re cooed over like some Hogwarts teacher’s pet for their cleverness. When a Republican does it, he’s a dark lord practicing unholy arts.

Although I will admit Bannon and Trump seem like they could be cast as YA fictional villains.
    hateful statements like this are why there is so much division in our country.

Quote Originally Posted by flowerseverywhere View Post
    I apologize for any aspersions I may have cast on Trump or Bannon.

Williamsmith
    Quote Originally Posted by flowerseverywhere View Post
    While I agree that there is much polarization in the country ....hateful statements are just memes produced by media to reflect back prejudices to Internet clickers in order to enrich those with financial control over management of this country. Politicians have been engineered to be actors, not ideologs. Policy makers are behinds the scenes.

There might be a comparison to be made with the 1980s Soviet Union before the dissolution of the Communist country. Nobody believed what their leaders were saying about reality but they had no choice but to play along. Until the whole thing collapsed as a failed experiement. I’m not making any predictions as to our future but there are some similarities regarding our doubt in the veracity of politics and media’s biased “reporting” or propaganda.

You hear what they say and it doesn’t match what you see. Unless you accept their hatred and reflect it back.

Thread Information