Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Voter manipulation techniques

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken lady View Post
    Where is my echo chamber? I want to be catered to! I end up wearing the 99 cent sweater from goodwill clearance because it is “good enough” and nobody ever selects a “shade of blue” I like.

every time I complain about nobody caring what I want, one of my kids informs me “you are not a demographic. There aren’t enough of you.”
    Oh I agree, when are the marketers going to actually market to my interests and concerns? I ask this often because the ads and info that come to my FB newsfeed are clumsily touching on inyerests I had, but no longer. Briefly, ebay seemed to show up on my newsfeed and that could be useful because that is where I do a lot of browsing, but also those products are one of a kind so not useful for marketers.

When will they pick up on the fact that I am interested in toile decor now? Show me some great cottage-y toile rooms, dammit!
    Last edited by iris lilies; 3-20-18 at 10:28am.

Oh I don't have a FB account, don't do social media (oh have a linkedin but it is really just a mini resume). Still they could profile by IP etc..

I don't think anyone ever expected social media to open up a world of information sharing, that's what the internet itself was supposed to do. How well the internet does at this I don't know, but clearly you can research anything on it. But as for just happening on random things on the internet, it was much better in the past. But social media has always been kind of an underwhelming "there's no there there" evil stepchild child of the internet thing (but maybe was moderately more amusing once).
    Last edited by ApatheticNoMore; 3-19-18 at 11:22pm.
    Trees don't grow on money

All the ads on my iPad are for women’s underwear because a local department store sent me a sale flyer back in January and I googled to see if they had my bra on sale (no). This is actually a problem, because I am a teacher and if I pull up information on my iPad in class- like the weather report!, there are now often pictures of bras and panties all around the edges.

i need to google a bunch of topics that I want my students exposed to related ads like...?

Oh, as for the random things - have you tried “add a word”? This is safer with a net nanny, but at school when my kids are looking for ideas, I let them google “pottery” plus any random word they think of. Sometime they even generate the random word by hitting a few letters on their keyboard and choosing from the suggested words.

I have revised WS's quote:
    Quote Originally Posted by Williamsmith View Post
    “You spend your days and nights on social media.
    The original vision is that it was going to open up a new paradise where information was shared freely.
    But now the alogorithms are so strong and know so much about you that they only give you [what their governing bodies want viewers to see, hear and know based on what they know you like.
    You have become trapped in an echo chamber. But all you see and hear is you.”

Living in an Unreal World - Adam Curtis
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Williamsmith
    So if I could insert just a brief tangential issue.....the search engine two headed monster called google. And of course, YouTube is the second head. I am on a mission to see what life would be without both these “resources” and how does this change what “information and suggestions” I am fed back.

I have used the search engine Bing for news related information and it is the runner up to google. However, if privacy is contemplated then what? Here are some alternatives I have either known about and ignored or just recently discovered.

This article can describe them more concisely than I can...... What do you think about Yandex? It is the Russian equivalent to Google. Haha! And for a substitute for YouTube......Vimeo.

https://searchenginewatch.com/2016/0...earch-engines/

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    Interesting reading! I am naive about data-mining. I wasn't damning Trump but the impact of the process on political decision-making. I also now have a better understanding of the importance of a Bannon on managing an election effort.

Interesting observation in this article how the Republicans completely missed the data-mining boat against Obama's efforts. Did any of other Republican candidates use this data-mining process leading up to their election in 2016 or just Trump?
    I would imagine that all candidates who can afford it use some form of data mining of social media.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 3-20-18 at 9:15pm.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I would imagine that all candidate who can afford it use some form to data minimum of social media.
    The difference is that when Democrats do it, they’re cooed over like some Hogwarts teacher’s pet for their cleverness. When a Republican does it, he’s a dark lord practicing unholy arts.

Although I will admit Bannon and Trump seem like they could be cast as YA fictional villains.

Not quite accurate, Ldahl. The Democrats did not use personal information that was given for an entirely different purpose.

I was objecting because FB users had given their personal info to assist a stated research project at Cambridge University. That information was then sold. There is and was no form of informed consent from the FB users to that sale of said personal info to a marketing agency for political purposes. That is the 'dark' part of the whole business.

I don't care if it is a Democrat or Republican who does it but in this case the Republicans did.

I am not that opposed to the use of algorithms because these same technical features catch fraudulent use of my credit card about which I was notified within a couple of hours of the incident by the credit card company. I am so predictable in my shopping that it was not hard to catch the deviance. At least, that is my current understanding of the use of such technology

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    The difference is that when Democrats do it, they’re cooed over like some Hogwarts teacher’s pet for their cleverness. When a Republican does it, he’s a dark lord practicing unholy arts.

Although I will admit Bannon and Trump seem like they could be cast as YA fictional villains.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

This adds confirmation to my concerns about lack of consent to use info.
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/camb...sion-1.4584748

The board of U.K.-based political consulting company Cambridge Analytica says it has suspended CEO Alexander Nix pending a full independent investigation of his actions amid a scandal over the handling of the personal data of millions of Facebook users.

The board cited comments Nix made to an undercover reporter for Britain's Channel 4 News and other allegations of wrongdoing in taking action against Nix on Tuesday.

The board said in an announcement posted on the data mining company's website that the suspension was effective immediately.

Channel 4 News broadcast secretly recorded clips on Tuesday that show Nix saying his data mining firm played a major role in securing Donald Trump's victory in the 2016 U.S. presidential election, including "all the data, all the analytics, all the targeting."

Nix also said Cambridge Analytica used emails set with a "self-destruct timer" during the Trump campaign to make its role more difficult to trace.

He said: "There's no evidence, there's no paper trail, there's nothing."

Can the Democrat's use of data-mining for Obama's election compare? Was it as secretive? Or is it simply a greater development of the technology?

Thread Information