Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Voter manipulation techniques

Interesting reading! I am naive about data-mining. I wasn't damning Trump but the impact of the process on political decision-making. I also now have a better understanding of the importance of a Bannon on managing an election effort.

Interesting observation in this article how the Republicans completely missed the data-mining boat against Obama's efforts. Did any of other Republican candidates use this data-mining process leading up to their election in 2016 or just Trump?

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Damn that Trump for “scooping up all kinds of juicy facts” on online posters with his Facebook app. Just pure manipulative evil!

oh, wait. This cnn article seems to be praising that activity. And look who it is praising:

https://www.cnn.com/2011/10/09/tech/innovation/obama-data-crunching-election/index.html

tl;dr cnn gives hgh fives to the Obama campaign for the same thing.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Williamsmith
    I am a founding member of the S.I.D.I.S. Our goal is to befuddle market researchers, short circuit psychological profiles and otherwise sow seeds of disappointment among would be voter manipulators. The Society Of Intentionally Deceptive Internet Surfers is looking for new members with the proclivity to change ones mind back and forth about political, religious and moral ideologies and are willing to surf the Internet randomly. We are an organized group of unorganized surfers whose mission is to derail any organized attempt at organizing our thought patterns.

Need more info on this devious group.
    Quote Originally Posted by Williamsmith View Post
    I am a founding member of the S.I.D.I.S. Our goal is to befuddle market researchers, short circuit psychological profiles and otherwise sow seeds of disappointment among would be voter manipulators. The Society Of Intentionally Deceptive Internet Surfers is looking for new members with the proclivity to change ones mind back and forth about political, religious and moral ideologies and are willing to surf the Internet randomly. We are an organized group of unorganized surfers whose mission is to derail any organized attempt at organizing our thought patterns.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Well, as a card-carrying member of a market research group I shall not name, I'll just have to create the A.S.I.D.I.S (the ANTI-Society of Intentionally Deceptive Internet Surfers). NO ONE will impede my deceptive internet marketing techniques! a-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha!!! [CUE VISUAL OF HANDLEBAR MUSTACHE TWIST].
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    Need more info on this devious group.
    I know! I want to join it! All 7 of me.

If someone peddles data they have no right to peddle, I would say they should be prosecuted for intellectual property theft.

If someone tries using publicly available data to better cater to my political biases or consumerist whims, I have no particular problem with that. I like being catered to. When Demosthenes harangued the folks in the agora, wasn't he trying to hit their hot buttons? Or when Amazon suggests a book based on books I've bought in the past?

If we are so far gone that Big Data Svengalis can control our minds, no amount of regulation will save us. The best we can hope for is to be programmed by benevolent overlords.

Williamsmith
    Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    If someone peddles data they have no right to peddle, I would say they should be prosecuted for intellectual property theft.

If someone tries using publicly available data to better cater to my political biases or consumerist whims, I have no particular problem with that. I like being catered to. When Demosthenes harangued the folks in the agora, wasn't he trying to hit their hot buttons? Or when Amazon suggests a book based on books I've bought in the past?

If we are so far gone that Big Data Svengalis can control our minds, no amount of regulation will save us. The best we can hope for is to be programmed by benevolent overlords.
    In my world, “benevolent overlords” is an oxymoron. I learned after the two jet airliners hit the twin towers....pretty much anything can be justified with the right amount of Svengalism.

In my world, “benevolent overlords” is an oxymoron. I learned after the two jet airliners hit the twin towers....pretty much anything can be justified with the right amount of Svengalism.
    If you line your hat with tin foil Mark Zuckerberg can't steal your soul.

Williamsmith
    “You spend your days and nights on social media.
    The original vision is that it was going to open up a new paradise where information was shared freely.
    But now the alogorithms are so strong and know so much about you that they only give you what they know you like.
    You have become trapped in an echo chamber. But all you see and hear is you.”

Living in an Unreal World - Adam Curtis

Where is my echo chamber? I want to be catered to! I end up wearing the 99 cent sweater from goodwill clearance because it is “good enough” and nobody ever selects a “shade of blue” I like.

every time I complain about nobody caring what I want, one of my kids informs me “you are not a demographic. There aren’t enough of you.”

Thread Information