Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: House inspection reports, what do you do?

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    So sorry to hear about this, but I'm sure the right house will present itself at the right time.
    Thanks, Catherine!

I agree that you will find the right one. Sometimes it takes time which is frustrating.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    I agree that you will find the right one. Sometimes it takes time which is frustrating.
    thanks, Terry, it helps to hear you guys say that!

Tybee, you are house hunting across states, right? That makes it reeeeeaaally difficult.

i know people who bought their house sight unseen, from MLS images. But that only worked for them becuase they were buying in a area of that fown that they knew, they had narrowed their search down to a few subdivisions, and these houses were all post 1970. All alike pretty much.

Yet, there are a lot of people who buy real estate across states, not ever seeing the property. There is a least one major rental buyer on the MMM site with property owned in many states. But I woild never buy rentals that way. Well, I wouldnt buy rentals period.

Website images can be mileading. My friend is looking for a house in New
    Hampshire and she showed me a link to the cutest house. It had a great looking interior and exterier. She saw it in person and it had a funky floor plan.

our Hermann house looked better on the website than in person.

So sorry it didn't work out, Tybee.

The one time we moved across country we rented for awhile before buying. It was a pain with 2 little kids but it seemed like the only way to make it work. The other way would be if yu had a bunch of houses lined up to see and then flew out for a few weeks. I guess that depends how much stock is available.

We have gone out and looked at stock lined up probably 4-5 times thus far. In earlier houses, we have bought from a photo off the internet (3 times) and it worked out well each time. But I had some familiarity with the areas. I have some with where we are looking, but I think going out there and doing a short term rental may be necessary.

We bought this house out of state sight unseen after pinpointing a couple of areas we wanted to be in. We rented an Air BnB prior to get a feel for neighborhood, traffic, proximity of parks, shopping etc. Unless you are very familiar with a place however, there can be lots of surprises you didn't think about, so I would not do it that way again.

The house we have now looked like it was move in ready on the internet. When we saw it in person it was a major fixer upper. I would not buy sight unseen.

Tybee: May I ask what general area of Maine you are looking in? I love Maine, have relatives up in Eddington and DH & I spent last weekend in Portland.

Thread Information