Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Order Dog Meds Online?

Order Dog Meds Online?

About 4 years ago, we switched to a much better vet office. Unfortunately, it also comes with really high prices for visits and meds. Our dog is on a bunch of meds, and we can't keep paying the for the vet office visit, then several more hundred dollars for the meds. Anyone buy these meds online? I'm considering Allivet online. It seems to have all the right certifcations. They say that it's exactly the same meds that the Vets sell.
    How do you feel about online pet meds and do you have a favorite that you trust?
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by CathyA View Post
    About 4 years ago, we switched to a much better vet office. Unfortunately, it also comes with really high prices for visits and meds. Our dog is on a bunch of meds, and we can't keep paying the for the vet office visit, then several more hundred dollars for the meds. Anyone buy these meds online? I'm considering Allivet online. It seems to have all the right certifcations. They say that it's exactly the same meds that the Vets sell.
    How do you feel about online pet meds and do you have a favorite that you trust?
    Thanks.
    I would use them without any qualms at all. Also, Sams Club is supposed to have good prices on vet meds.
    This online one is supposed to be good, but I have never used them and don't know if they are discount:

https://www.drsfostersmith.com/pet-meds/pr/c/9547

But would your new vet write you a prescription? I always felt like that might tick them off a bit, so I was never brave enough to ask.
    We just spent 60 dollars for two weeks of antibiotic for our dog--do not know if that was cheap or expensive, although he apologized.

If it is a long term med I use Petmeds and my vet sends in the RX no problem. If it is a one time thing I buy it from the vet. I have saved a ton of $ doing it this way.

I ihave used Costco for pet meds too. Excellent prices!

We use Diamond something in Arizonia for eye meds. Bulldog Rescue has a discount there. Out vets dont carry this medicine anyway.

Thanks everyone. Do you need a prescription from the vet for things like heartworm med, glucosamine, etc.?
    I wish the vet wouldn't up the price so much. I did ask for a prescription from him once and he gave it to me, but I ended up not using it.
    I think if they're going to charge us really high prices for office visits, etc., they shouldn't be bothered if we're trying to avoid high med prices too.

One of our cats is on thyroid meds. We get them from VPA. Our vet actually recommended this because it's a compounding pharmacy so the meds come as chew treats that Everett loves. Anyone who's tried to give a cat pills understands how awesome this is!

When our other cat needed an antiviral prescription our vet recommended getting it from Costco. It felt a little weird having them call out "Christian P. Your order is ready!" I believe this one is actually a human med that's also suitable for felines.

Quote Originally Posted by CathyA View Post
    I think if they're going to charge us really high prices for office visits, etc., they shouldn't be bothered if we're trying to avoid high med prices too.
    It's just like the eye doc. The one I had in NJ always sold me my contacts, $80 apiece. Since we moved to San Francisco I've been going to the costco eye doc. He doesn't sell glasses or contacts, but Costco has an optometry department where I get my contacts. Single focals were only $40 apiece. Now that I'm officially middle-aged I have bifocal contacts and they are $80 apiece at Costco. I can only imagine how much my old NJ eye doc would be charging. Yes, it's an awkward conversation for people who don't like confrontation, but at the end of the day it's your money and you certainly have the right to ask for the prescription so that you can make the purchase somewhere else.

Allivet, Dr Foster and Smith both very easy to use. Fill out the form on site, they contact the vet and the products arrive. This year I emailed the new Vet office and asked prices of flea and tick and heart worm preventative, then ordered from online. Also when the old girls need assorted meds for allergies and joints I do the same.

My neighbor feels some sort of owing to her vet reason is the vet is so good to her dogs and cats. I tell her you are paying for his Cadillac payment.

Thanks again everyone. I did fill out the Allivet form online and hopefully they will follow through with the vet. Of course, the vets make it sound like nothing is more genuine or reliable than the meds they sell. If I order most of my dog's meds online, I can save about $100 each time I order them. They are exactly the same meds that the vet offers. Of course, we don't know how they are stored, etc., but it seems reasonable. You just have to check the expiration dates on things too.
    It's funny......our first local vet didn't do nearly enough for our pets.......and now this place does too much. I really like our new vet. He is so knowledgeable and caring. But I do think he's OCD, and has to cover EVERYTHING he thinks could be a problem. That can get really expensive.

Thread Information