Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Good news from the one American city I truly do like!

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar

Good news from the one American city I truly do like!

The police (and here I have something positive to say about the police for once) caught the package bomb perp! I'm relieved and grateful for this. I just hope there are not going to be attention-seeking copycats now. Fingers crossed on this. Rob

DD and other family still live there so we were watching closely and the city was very nervous. Surprised to hear it was a religious (Mormon maybe?) home-schooled young man. A square peg who couldn't fit in. What a relief in any case!

Not surprised as to who it was at all.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Not surprised as to who it was at all.
    Did you know him?
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Not surprised that he fit the domestic terrorist profile: young (or youngish), white, male, with right-wing views. Unless he operated outside social media, we'll probably find out that he frequented Breitbart and other alt.right sites.

ETA: I should have mention Christian-identified, also.

According to Austin news, he was fired from his job some time ago. I sometimes wonder if it is a good thing to cloister kids in a home schooled environment - never exposed to different kinds of people and ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    I sometimes wonder if it is a good thing to cloister kids in a home schooled environment - never exposed to different kinds of people and ideas.
    I wonder why people believe that home schooled children are "cloistered"?

When we were homeschooling, our daughter was exposed to many more different sorts of people and ideas than if she'd been going to the public school. She wasn't kept locked in a cupboard under the stairs and slipped Bible passages under the door....

I don't know too much about home schooling except by observing the Mormon families in our hood, but I am sure there are varying levels of participation in the outside world. Th families here don't venture outside of their families and church much as far as I can tell.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    I wonder why people believe that home schooled children are "cloistered"?

When we were homeschooling, our daughter was exposed to many more different sorts of people and ideas than if she'd been going to the public school. She wasn't kept locked in a cupboard under the stairs and slipped Bible passages under the door....
    Then you've got the Turpin kids on the other end of the spectrum.

I am not a fan of homeschooling but it is a right that parents have and it should be.

Thread Information