Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Good news from the one American city I truly do like!

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    I am really surprised that folks are pointing to homeschooling as having any connection at all with this kind of violence.

I have taught many homeschooled children over the past 30 years when they have arrived at college, and have generally found them to be better educated and better adjusted than the typical public high school educated student.

I really wonder at the news coverage of this, if it is not a convenient chance to lobby for more government control over parents' rights to educate their children in the best manner for that particular child.
    interesting conclusion. I have met several Home schooled children who were awkward, but exceedingly polite and religious. One family who did not seem particularity organized or bright so not sure how that turned out. But then again I know several families who homeschooled kids who did very well in group sports situations, rate very high in test scores and are extremely social, polite and respectful. In other words, nothing our society would deem as abnormal. Again, assumptions and painting with a broad brush really influence us all.

Perhaps if we considered what are the causes of these mass shootings/bombings and is there anything that can be done. We must be able to do better.

It seems it obviously depends, and mostly on the parents: if they are isolated from the world, dysfunctional and even abusive it will have one result and if they are very involved in the world and not abusive and loving and functional another. I mean if they really think they can raise a kid all alone and it doesn't take a village they are off on the wrong path. Intent matters some too: if the intent is to protect a kid being bullied or even increase exposure to the world it is one thing, if the intent is to isolate form the world it is another (even then it's usually better to isolate in say a religious community than in NO community although both can be risky and limiting). Obviously the result of just sending a kid to school is the safer more standard choice as all heck goes on in abusive families and at least with standard schooling they are guaranteed some other exposure and respite (this is not to say bullying doesn't happen at school, just that an abusive and isolated family can be worse).
    Trees don't grow on money

My sibling home-schooled a stepdaughter who couldn't handle even accelerated/TAG schooling (she was very, very bright). She passed her GED at the earliest available opportunity, and is now involved with AI in the Bay Area. I love the idea of home-schooling when done right. I suspect a lot of kids would benefit from more attention and more control of their curriculum.

I think once again the question is why no one saw this young man's anger and confusion and not how he was educated.

Thread Information