Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Taking class with sister

Lainey: I asked the instructor about your question. She didn't seem to quite get what I was asking, but she did offer a good suggestion that you find out from the family if there are any special accommodations you need to be prepared for if you were going to take her out somewhere.
    I've given the matter some thought and I think it would be important to be very clear about what assistance you are willing to provide. "I want to help" could be perceived as an offer to be another major care provider, whereas "I can offer respite assistance one day per week," or "I would like to take her out once a month for lunch and a movie" is much less ambiguous.

Terry, those are wonderful things you did for your friend. You did big things as well as the little thngs, all which made a huge difference in her life.

Thanks IL. She was such a sweet, outgoing social person that I wanted her to have that as long as she could and her husband felt the same way. When her husband knew that he was dying he bought plane tickets and took Diane to visit all her friends all over the country. It was the goodbye tour. I thought it was a great idea.

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    Lainey: I asked the instructor about your question. She didn't seem to quite get what I was asking, but she did offer a good suggestion that you find out from the family if there are any special accommodations you need to be prepared for if you were going to take her out somewhere.
    I've given the matter some thought and I think it would be important to be very clear about what assistance you are willing to provide. "I want to help" could be perceived as an offer to be another major care provider, whereas "I can offer respite assistance one day per week," or "I would like to take her out once a month for lunch and a movie" is much less ambiguous.
    Thanks for the follow-up. Good suggestion about being specific and not just generically offering to "help." I'll have to see how this unfolds but I'm sad to witness this. A cure for this disease can't come fast enough.

Thread Information