Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Moron Trump is now challenging China to a trade war!

I suspect housing cost has at least a tiny little bit to do with homelessness. And much of the rise of homeless is MUCH more recent than Reagan. It's the last decade. It is also to some degree a *global* problem. The world gets more urban, people stream into urban centers, housing costs rise for this or other reasons etc.. The UK has a homeless problem, Europe has a homeless problem.
    Trees don't grow on money

I fully realize that Finland's size and population are much smaller but they have made huge strides in solving the homeless challenges.
    https://www.csmonitor.com/World/Euro...o-all-who-need

MARCH 21, 2018 HELSINKI, FINLAND—As anyone who has visited Europe recently can attest, the scourge of homelessness has reached epidemic proportions.

The only exception to the trend is Finland, according to FEANTSA, the European Federation of National Organizations Working with the Homeless. There, homelessness is, remarkably, on the decline.

Around 10 years ago, however, observers noticed that although homelessness in general was declining, long-term homelessness was not. A new approach to the problem was called for, along with a new philosophy.

The optimal solution, a group of four experts appointed by the Ministry of the Environment found, was Housing First. “Solving social and health problems is not a prerequisite for arranging housing,” they observed. “Instead, housing is a prerequisite that will also enable solving a homeless person’s other problems.”

The concept behind the new approach was not original; it was already in selective use in the US as part of the Pathways Model pioneered by Dr. Sam Tsemberis in the 1990s to help former psychiatric patients. What was different, and historic, about the Finnish Housing First model was a willingness to enact the model on a nationwide basis.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    I was a Bill Clinton fan but not a fan of his womanizing. I think it is a pretty big leap to assume all Trump supporters are disrespectful of women.
    I do not think all are disrespectful of women. The way I read Alan's post and he still he does not negate what I have said. It is an honest conclusion.

Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    I do not think all are disrespectful of women. The way I read Alan's post and he still he does not negate what I have said. It is an honest conclusion.
    It is a dishonest statement, question, and conclusion.

“Have you stopped beating your wife?”

The way I read Alan's post and he still he does not negate what I have said. It is an honest conclusion.
    It is a conclusion, but there may have been some liberties taken on the honest part.

I'm reminded of a fellow I once knew who had moles in his yard. He was convinced that a local business that specialized in the live capture of moles in a client's yard was disposing of the live catch in his yard late at night. There was no evidence of this, but he got it into his head and it wouldn't leave. I suppose that since the mole catcher never swore an oath that he wasn't doing this it might be true, but I believe this fellow had his own truth and no oath would have sufficed anyway. People are funny that way.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    It is a conclusion, but there may have been some liberties taken on the honest part.

I'm reminded of a fellow I once knew who had moles in his yard. He was convinced that a local business that specialized in the live capture of moles in a client's yard was disposing of the live catch in his yard late at night. There was no evidence of this, but he got it into his head and it wouldn't leave. I suppose that since the mole catcher never swore an oath that he wasn't doing this it might be true, but I believe this fellow had his own truth and no oath would have sufficed anyway. People are funny that way.
    Not a relative analogy. My point earlier was ... you still do not answer the question. You always come back with some nonsensical or unrelated response. You have proven my point.

Not a relative analogy. My point earlier was ... you still do not answer the question. You always come back with some nonsensical or unrelated response. You have proven my point.
    Was there a question buried somewhere in those statements and accusations? I suppose I may have missed it while concentrating on proving your point.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    I fully realize that Finland's size and population are much smaller but they have made huge strides in solving the homeless challenges.

MARCH 21, 2018 HELSINKI, FINLAND—As anyone who has visited Europe recently can attest, the scourge of homelessness has reached epidemic proportions.

The only exception to the trend is Finland, according to FEANTSA, the European Federation of National Organizations Working with the Homeless. There, homelessness is, remarkably, on the decline.

Around 10 years ago, however, observers noticed that although homelessness in general was declining, long-term homelessness was not. A new approach to the problem was called for, along with a new philosophy.

The optimal solution, a group of four experts appointed by the Ministry of the Environment found, was Housing First. “Solving social and health problems is not a prerequisite for arranging housing,” they observed. “Instead, housing is a prerequisite that will also enable solving a homeless person’s other problems.”

The concept behind the new approach was not original; it was already in selective use in the US as part of the Pathways Model pioneered by Dr. Sam Tsemberis in the 1990s to help former psychiatric patients. What was different, and historic, about the Finnish Housing First model was a willingness to enact the model on a nationwide basis.
    They had a pilot program like this in Seattle; the conclusion was, IIRC, that it was successful. People who feel secure in their housing can gather themselves to solve other problems. As far as I know, it was abandoned in favor of something like "You're on your own, kid."

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post

That sounds entirely rational. THe problem with trying to implement anything like that in the US is that neither the left nor the right will like it. The right will be up in arms about giving housing to "lazy people" and both sides won't agree to giving housing to people without micromanaging people's lives, putting unrealistic goals on continuing support and so forth. And along the way we'll continue to impose rules that make it impossible to build truly cheap but profitable housing for people at the very bottom of the economic spectrum. So we'll undoubtedly continue to have a homeless problem for the foreseeable future.

My community is looking at starting something similar to Housing First. The local governments are applying for federal grants, partnering with nonprofits, and I think it will come to be in the next three years are so.

Thread Information