Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Moron Trump is now challenging China to a trade war!

Yppej
    I saw the other day that you can now build a house with a 3D printer. But what are the chances that cheap housing will be allowed by the construction industry, zoning boards, etc.? The argument will be it's not safe during earthquakes and the like, as if living in the streets is safe.

ANM: one of my professional journals arrived in my in box today and you are right that rising rents is contributing to the homeless factor. It could easily be the other 25% of the population. Without a stable living environment is is difficult to help people fix their other issues. Madison, WI is using tiny homes to help with this problem.

I do not understand the obsession with “tiny homes” for solving societal ills. Never will understand it .

It is ridiculous to build stand alone units with 4 walls when shared walls are economical in many ways, initial building costs and heat/colling especially. Like in an apartment complex, ya know? Also, does ANYONE actually care about the environment? The construction industry consumes many more resources of the earth than any gas guzzling car. Drive as many Prius autos as you like, but continue to advocate for tiny houses? Seems incomgrous to me.

Maybe someone here can explain it succnctly, at least partially, why “tiny homes” are the answer to homelessness.

With many of the homeless being mentally incapacitaed in some way, I also do not understand why this community expects them to care for a stand alone structure and grounds.

My screed above doesnt mean I don't like tiny homes, they are indeed fascinating. But for god’s sake, be realistic about their cost and function. They are experiments in living for well healed hipsters and people wanting trendy second homes.

In Madison it is a tiny home village with the homes right next to each other. It is meant to be a community and social services are offered to help people reclaim their lives. For some it will mean jobs and for others too mentally ill to work applying for SSDI, etc. So it's not like they will have a home/yard to take care of. I am assuming cost is a factor here as they can put many of them in a smaller space. But you are right that apartments also fit this criteria.

Thread Information