ANM, I think you touched on the "risk" of acting according to our conscience. That's where I and my friends have hesitated in the past, because I think the risk is real.
Remember the joke going around when Obama was first running for president: the employer declares that if Obama is elected, he will go into the company parking lot and lay off those employees with Obama bumper stickers. My then-coworkers thought that joke was pretty funny. Har har har.

But unfortunately it's no joke to many who completely depend on an employer's paycheck. Now with social media a prospective employer is checking for everything they can find about you online. Are there photos of you in the latest anti gun violence march? Maybe your prospective employer is a member of the NRA and now you're off the list of potential employees no matter how skilled and experienced you are. Do you work for a local utility but want to advocate for more renewable energy? Better skip writing that letter to the editor if you want to keep your job.
In the old days they had to have Pinkerton thugs check on you, now it's done with a couple of clicks on a keyboard.

Do I think it's constraining people's right to say what's on their conscience? Yes, absolutely.