Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone else having Norton catch something bad when opening this site up on Firefox?

Thanks Alan.

I have no trouble on Safari.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

The technicians with our host advise there is a problem with an outdated plugin in our version of vBulletin. They recommend we upgrade to the latest stable version of the software.

I went to the vBulletin site to acquire the upgrade script but find that I cannot login using the credentials we inherited from New Roadmap. I have a request in with their sales department to see if we can re-set login credentials.

Another option is to perform a major upgrade to the site by purchasing vBulletin's latest version (ver 5, a major upgrade from our current ver 4.2.2). This would require a separate purchase, the upgrade price is $209 for a current license, a new license if necessary would be $249.
    As an FYI, we currently have $298 in our Paypal account.

If we cannot resolve the upgrade of ver. 4.2.2 due to our not being the original purchaser, changing over to ver. 5 may be our only option as version 4.x.x, while still supported with updates, is no longer being sold. I'll keep you advised.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Another option is to perform a major upgrade to the site by purchasing vBulletin's latest version (ver 5, a major upgrade from our current ver 4.2.2). This would require a separate purchase, the upgrade price is $209 for a current license, a new license if necessary would be $249.
    As an FYI, we currently have $298 in our Paypal account.
    If an upgrade to 5.x is the right answer, I'm in for some $$ to help buy it.

I'm not seeing the problems people are discussing, but I load the bare minimum necessary to use the site and I don't allow anything else. I'm sure that helps me.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by SteveinMN View Post
    If an upgrade to 5.x is the right answer, I'm in for some $$ to help buy it.
    There's plenty of money in the community pot to pay for the upgrade, it just takes away from what's available for the next hosting bill in June.

I'm not seeing the problems people are discussing, but I load the bare minimum necessary to use the site and I don't allow anything else. I'm sure that helps me.
    Me neither, and I can't seem to duplicate it. From what I've read, and what the hosting techs have told me, it seems to be a re-direct exploit to vBulletin's outdated SEO plugin (which I have now disabled), which is triggered by loading the site from search engine links. I've had no success seeing it after following links from Google, Bing and Yahoo.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Maybe I haven't given it enough tries, but DH figured out that he had to install a different version of Firefox to correct a display problem we were having. We were having trouble with partial images coming up on every site. This seemed to have fixed that problem, but I also noticed that Norton no longer brought up that bad thing that it had to get rid of. I'm sorry I'm so computer illiterate. I even had to force DH to stop talking to me about it, because that area of my brain is dark and quiet.

How can we fairly un-tech- savvy people ever figure all this stuff out??? If DH weren't here, I don't think I would be able to use a computer, with all the problems that arise with it.

P.S. DH just said that the problem was that our previous type version of Firefox couldn't handle the Shockwave add-on...........whatever the heck that means.

He might as well have said this to me: Iln honle fioe;,.8........kiohlfe owlsid giblipe kcito andibv.

Buying the most user friendly computer (Apple) and keeping it updated as soon as updates are released (every month or so) keeps all these problems away from my user experience.

I am having trouble on Safari when on SL. May have to update our computer?

Sunday afternoon 1:33 PM Central Time, I am getting the same message from Norton, and Norton removes it. I do not get the same message from websites other than simplelivingforum.

Thread Information