Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: My year of sports fandom!

😄😄😄

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    "I want to live as an atheist for a year -- talk about atheism, do atheist activities, read atheist books, and so on. Will you help me? Will you be my guide?"

[snip]

I want to do an experiment where I become an outdoorsy fisherman for a year."
    Maybe it's just me, but I don't approach those kinds of things as overtly-timed commitments. If I want to explore something new, I approach it from the standpoint of wanting to learn more about it. Maybe I'll take to it like a duck to water; maybe I'll discover a showstopper right away; maybe it will take a few months or even a couple of years to decide if I like the activity. I very likely will have a soft internal timeframe for determining if I enjoy the activity enough to continue. But I wouldn't proclaim from the get-go that I have a date at which my interest will end.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by SteveinMN View Post
    Maybe it's just me, but I don't approach those kinds of things as overtly-timed commitments. If I want to explore something new, I approach it from the standpoint of wanting to learn more about it. Maybe I'll take to it like a duck to water; maybe I'll discover a showstopper right away; maybe it will take a few months or even a couple of years to decide if I like the activity. I very likely will have a soft internal timeframe for determining if I enjoy the activity enough to continue. But I wouldn't proclaim from the get-go that I have a date at which my interest will end.
    I think your perspective is the norm, not the time frame thing.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveinMN View Post
    I respect this methodology too.

I am fixin' to get ready to go to a soccer match with a friend of mine -- a big fan.

This should be interesting. I remember playing soccer on the playground a recess early in elementary school. It was all the rage until about 3rd grade, then everyone switched to football.

I vaguely remember the rules. Though clearly I remember players, save the goalies, can't use their hands.

It is going to be coooooooold at the stadium!

So I have really been contemplating this experiment and my experiences so far.

I think I just kinda like minor league baseball. I am going to another game this weekend, Clippers vs. Charlotte Knights, 4th in a 4 gamer series. I am going with my sister and BIL and their daughter.

I was thinking it'd be fun to go to minor league games whenever I travel domestically since most places are within an hour drive of A, AA, or AAA teams.

Personally, and as a baseball fan, I prefer going to minor league games. The lower the level, the better. The more fun and better camaraderie, I think. Plus you can see some big names occasionally if they're doing rehab assignments.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Simple, minimalist entertainment: Listening to the Columbus Clippers baseball game on the radio.

Not a bad way to spend a Saturday evening!

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    Listening to the Columbus Clippers baseball game on the radio.
    Waaaaay back in my youth I was a Cincinnati Reds fan (back in the days of The Big Red Machine). Living 1200 miles away, though, meant tuning my AM table radio (now I really am dating myself) to WLW to listen to the games. Baseball is a game made for radio; much more so than football, basketball, or hockey. It's fine on TV, but those other sports just move way too fast to get a grip on what's going on through the radio.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

I just watched Field of Dreams and for 107 minutes I felt like I was in America again, not some bizarre Trumpian dystopia.

Thread Information