Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: My year of sports fandom!

Yppej
    No they are not separate.

If you decide to do this, I suggest you blog about it. It would be a really interesting experiment infiltrating a truly American culture as an outsider.

It's a bit strange to manufacturer a loyalty to something that you really don't care about, but it is an interesting experiment.

My DH and I are not huge sports fans. I tend to really like following local teams that I'm part of. I was a football cheerleader in high school, and so I tend to really enjoy Rutgers football games, even though we only had one brief shining moment in the 2000s. But I truly don't like the other sports, although my son just called me to rave about Sister Jean--knowing I was raised Catholic. It's a little weird, praying for a sports team to win. Even though if I liked basketball, I'd probably root for Loyola. I went to a sister college of Loyola's and traveled with some of their students when I did Junior Year Abroad.

But really, blog about it. Tell us what you learn from the sports world.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    No they are not separate.
    Riots? Fights? Mayhem?

Yppej
    There have been fights in the bleachers at Fenway Park.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    There have been fights in the bleachers at Fenway Park.
    I pity the fool!

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    If you decide to do this, I suggest you blog about it. It would be a really interesting experiment infiltrating a truly American culture as an outsider.
    Is American sports culture really much different from the environment in football (soccer) in the rest of the world? For example, players in the major pro leagues in Europe have the same levels of celebrity and (likely) income as star players and coaches in the U.S., celebrity endorsements, the same kind of tribal representation ("Man U!" "No, Arsenal!"),...
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    Riots? Fights? Mayhem?
    Attempted murder a few years back, when fan(s/atics) attacked a fan of another team. Less, when you sit in area's where family/friends of the players/team sit. (most won't get those tickets)
    I have fun hearing stories from the players and have several that are friends, but there is no way in hades that I could say you could learn to love sports if you are like me and don't give a (censored).

Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    Attempted murder a few years back, when fan(s/atics) attacked a fan of another team. Less, when you sit in area's where family/friends of the players/team sit. (most won't get those tickets)
    I have fun hearing stories from the players and have several that are friends, but there is no way in hades that I could say you could learn to love sports if you are like me and don't give a (censored).
    Statistically unlikely to happen though.

Since this is a SIMPLE living forum, might I suggest becoming a tennis aficianado as I have the past 6-8 years. It's nearly year round (played internationally), and you can become a fan of one or more players very easily. So you wouldn't have to try and become a fan of seasonal sports. The game is easy to understand and you don't have to hunt for the ball (soccer/hockey), and there is no tie at the end of the match.

I watch matches on the Tennis Channel or on ESPN when they cover. We just went to our first professional tournament in Palm Springs a few weeks ago. Talk about tribalism. The entire area was tennis-nuts. Every restaurant or store you entered you heard tennis chatter.

Oh, and it's a gentleman's/gentlewoman's game.

Perhaps there are clubs you could go watch in your area?

If this doesn't ring your bell, I would go with the Cleveland Indians, because I like Terry Francona. I'm a lukewarm Mariners fan.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Quote Originally Posted by KayLR View Post
    Since this is a SIMPLE living forum, might I suggest becoming a tennis aficianado as I have the past 6-8 years. It's nearly year round (played internationally), and you can become a fan of one or more players very easily. So you wouldn't have to try and become a fan of seasonal sports. The game is easy to understand and you don't have to hunt for the ball (soccer/hockey), and there is no tie at the end of the match.

I watch matches on the Tennis Channel or on ESPN when they cover. We just went to our first professional tournament in Palm Springs a few weeks ago. Talk about tribalism. The entire area was tennis-nuts. Every restaurant or store you entered you heard tennis chatter.

Oh, and it's a gentleman's/gentlewoman's game.
    The idea is much appreciated. And I will say: Serena Williams is already my celebrity crush!

Thread Information