Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mosque protest in the 63104

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I am now thinking that the staff of the architectural review office need to be fired or put on trial and their pension seized, and the citizen Board all fired for acting illegally and immorally in failing to meet quorum requirements. Basic human dignity calls for that.
    And there should be huge settlements for everybody!

How about doing a public reading for the Quran at the demonstration? I think that would be rather educational to the public.

It is a pretty house, Iris, just wish I could get to those bushes and scrub trees with pruners.

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I am now thinking that the staff of the architectural review office need to be fired or put on trial and their pension seized, and the citizen Board all fired for acting illegally and immorally in failing to meet quorum requirements. Basic human dignity calls for that.
    Do you have video on your cellphone of the vote? Lawsuit.

Quote Originally Posted by flowerseverywhere View Post
    Do you have video on your cellphone of the vote? Lawsuit.
    Oh no! I forgot that essential protest tool! I am such a newby at this.

fortunately the entire hearing yesterday was put on video because that is their standard. Of course two tv channels were there, filming. Because Muslim hate.

Now I have to confess that I do not even know how the appeal turned put because DH and I had to leave for another meeting, a community garden meeting about grabbing land for more gardens. Such is the life of us community activists in the 63104.

I will read up about the mosque appeal’s outcome, but I am pretty sure my side lost. I have lots to say about that and may say it later.

I hope the statement was publicly made, and underlined, that your protest was of the quorum-free vote and the mosque design, and not the existence of the proposed mosque.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    I hope the statement was publicly made, and underlined, that your protest was of the quorum-free vote and the mosque design, and not the existence of the proposed mosque.
    Only about a billion times. The quorum problem of the Board, that is just a technicality. The entire siting of the building is the huge issue. They are treating their building like it is in the suburbs.

The building itself is sorta ok and here I mean the architecture. It aint grand, but is it passable, and they made many revisions to get it to this place.

This reminds me that I had an interesting book challange when I was working. A library patron filed an official complaint that the Quran at one of our library branches wasnt shelved on the highest shelf, as is required for respecting it in the world of Islam. It should be above all books, according to this complaint.

That idea got into some complex analysis as to if a Quran in English is really a sacred book in the Islam theology. Our Qurans were either English or Arabic/ English editions and it was postulated that these are not true sacred books. I later contacted the person who complained to discuss this issue and that contact phone was disconnected. So it ended weakly, no change in our practices of shelving this item.

I have noticed that compatibility of size and scale within older neighborhoods is often ignored--at least in Portland, where developers like to raze modest bungalows and infill with big, boxy, rapidly-constructed monstrosities. Neighbors are aghast, naturally.

Yppej
    IL with warm weather coming you should have many more protest opportunities. It can become a social outlet. If the Board doesn't rule the way you want you can hang around the construction site and look for violations. And if construction workers wolf whistle at you then you get the Me Too movement involved as well. Or even if they wolf whistle at younger people but not you because that is age discrimination.

Thread Information